Forums Latest Members

looking for help with valuation of my tri-compax

1. Brent7928 Jul 26, 2016

I am considering selling the last of my collection. Before I list it for sale I need some help understanding the current value of the watch. here are some details:

Good:
    - rare twisted lug gold waterproof case
    - cal 281 movement serviced by RGM and running well - all functions work
    - Comes with box, service papers and a copy of Sala's book
    - Comes with a nice little upgrade of a high quality matching gold plated oyster stretch bracelet
    - also comes with a nice horween cordovan strap

Not so Good:
    - dial has age to it but is all original
    - crystal has been replaced
    - crown is not original

I would appreciate your help in any value estimates so I can figure out my approach. Thanks in advance

gold tri - bracelet.JPG gold tri.JPG photo 3[2].JPG photo 5[2].JPG

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 26, 2016

Well good luck understanding valuation these days. I'm pretty adrift...

A few observations tho:
    -As with Pateks, steel turns out to be the precious metal with these twisted lug TriCompaxes, Gold just does not get the respect it deserves. People seem to think they can't wear it with casual clothes. In any case, these have not enjoyed the price rise of the steel models.
    - I don't have any comparables less than a year old. A few BO sales, but I don't know how much money actually changed hands. The BIN values are in the USD6500-9500 range. I remember one that was posted with BIN of USD4000 that lasted all of about 11 minutes on ebay. Two sold at the May 2015 Antiquorum sale for CHF8750 and 9375.
    - DIal hurts a bit on this one. Looks great on the riveted oyster bracelet tho, and on the Horween, and on the alligator, and would probably look great on a piece of packing twine too.

3. Brent7928 Jul 26, 2016

Thanks. I likely am looking to get some cash and a trade for it. I am guessing ebay is my best bet for this one. Ironically, this was the hardest to find out of my entire collection.

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 26, 2016

I would say so. Ebay is always the best place to take uncertain valuations. I would probably wait until after Labor Day as it is a little dead over teh summer.

watchknut likes this.
  5. aap Jul 26, 2016

I was apprehensive to buy gold watches before. Now I wear them with casual clothes. If you like the watches, you'll wear them with anything I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. micampe Jul 26, 2016

I also think that all the accessories you list don't affect the value. Especially the book, I would sell that separately or consider it a freebie that just sweetens the deal if you want to keep it attached to the watch.

7. Brent7928 Jul 26, 2016

I agree - with the exception of the oyster, more of a sweetener for someone who wants them.

8. Brent7928 Aug 6, 2016

I have decided to list it for sale and will do so later this weekend. Let me know if interested.

9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 6, 2016

probably best to indicate where you are selling it, since it will likely not be here (200 post rule) unless you get permission from the mods first.

10. Brent7928 Oct 19, 2016

my deal fell through so I still have it if anyone is interested.
    Thanks

11. erpin9 Oct 22, 2016

What is the reference number? Do you have a picture of the backcase?

12. Brent7928 Oct 25, 2016

watch is traded. Thanks