Looking for help on this Omega Air Ministry marked watch

I have had this watch for the past 5 years and purchased it in a poor state, not working and have had it restored which took 3 years to get back after a search for parts. It’s marked as an Air Ministry watch 6b/159 4503/40 on the rear but it’s an unusual size for I normally only have seen the larger 30 T2? It’s a Medicus watch from what the restorer told me. It’s approx 26mm across the rear of the case. Can anyone confirm if these smaller watches were used by the Air Ministry ? I’d appreciate any steer?

Off the top of my head i’m pretty sure they did. The book British Military Timepieces by Konrad Knirim should explain it. Its a great book but a tad expensive and you can get it cheaper by shopping around online. I will check my copy for you once I am home. I also recommend setting up an account on mwrforum.net. They have a discussion board with many military watch collectors who are very welcoming and happy to help.

Is it possible to see pics of the inner case back and movement? Is it a Dennison case?

I had a look Tyrell and couldn’t find your exact watch but that doesn’t mean its not legit as i’m pretty sure it is. The dial of your watch looks a bit like some i’ve seen on Omega weems watches with a smaller omega logo than those you see on a 30t 6b. I know for sure that the Air Ministry used smaller watches from Omega and other makers. Here are some pics from the pages of the book, i definitely recommend it. You’ll get a much better answer from the guys on Military Watch Forum or maybe someone more knowledgable on here can chip in.
Edited:

I had a look Tyrell and couldn’t find your exact watch but that doesn’t mean its not legit as i’m pretty sure it is. The dial of your watch looks a bit like some i’ve seen on Omega weems watches with a smaller omega logo than those you see on a 30t 6b. Here are some pics from the pages of the book, i definitely recommend it. You’ll get a much better answer from the guys on Military Watch Forum or maybe someone more knowledgable on here can chip in.
Many thanks appreciate your help!

Let me know what you find out. Id be interested to know too!

I had a reply through a friend who knows a chap who has written a book on military watches and this was his thoughts!

That’s an interesting Air Ministry Omega watch. I’m confident that, despite its apparent reduced size, it’s a genuine item with a serial number suggesting a production date from 1939.

Interestingly, whilst most of the RAF issue watches that survive today are dated from 1942/3, their design comes about from before the war. At that time I believe the Air Ministry were responsible for the procurement of their own watches and in 1939, l'd imagine that there was a rush order for watches that was either fulfilled and delivered direct or, given the Swiss neutrality, that order might have been held back at Omega. If that was the case, I can only imagine that it was sold into the “Jewellery Trade” at a later date in what on paper was a “Civilian” deal, which resulted in it being delivered to the AM by convoluted means.

The only other possibility, but I think a less likely scenario, is where this watch was in Britain as a civilian timepiece and ended up being handed over for the benefit for the war effort. I have a AM Longines that fits that but my watch does look civilian-military, unlike your Omega, which is just too military to begin with.

I had a reply through a friend who knows a chap who has written a book on military watches and this was his thoughts!

That’s an interesting Air Ministry Omega watch. I’m confident that, despite its apparent reduced size, it’s a genuine item with a serial number suggesting a production date from 1939.

Interestingly, whilst most of the RAF issue watches that survive today are dated from 1942/3, their design comes about from before the war. At that time I believe the Air Ministry were responsible for the procurement of their own watches and in 1939, l'd imagine that there was a rush order for watches that was either fulfilled and delivered direct or, given the Swiss neutrality, that order might have been held back at Omega. If that was the case, I can only imagine that it was sold into the “Jewellery Trade” at a later date in what on paper was a “Civilian” deal, which resulted in it being delivered to the AM by convoluted means.

The only other possibility, but I think a less likely scenario, is where this watch was in Britain as a civilian timepiece and ended up being handed over for the benefit for the war effort. I have a AM Longines that fits that but my watch does look civilian-military, unlike your Omega, which is just too military to begin with.

Very interesting watch. Agree the name of that author is important to know.