Forums Latest Members

Looking for help identifying an Omega watch

1. cofh Jun 11, 2017

Looking for help identifying an Omega watch. I was given this watch by my father who got it from a relative who passed away. I have searched high and low for images of Omega watches and cannot find anything that looks like this one. For all I know it is a fake. It says 18K gold on the band but other than that no markings or codes that might identify it as real. I suppose I could take it to a jewellery or watch appraiser but I thought I would try here first. I would really appreciate it if anyone could offer some assistance with this.

Thank you.

Omega.jpg Omega1.jpg
  2. Uniqez Jun 11, 2017

Sorry for a bad news, but it is a fake one.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 11, 2017

How about a photo of the back?

4. cofh Jun 11, 2017

Not really bad news, just confirms what I suspected. Thanks.

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 11, 2017

We used to hate quartz then were ok with the fz, then we hated batteries....I don't know what I think about this!
    I'll go with whatever Norman says!

6. cofh Jun 11, 2017

Not that it will do any good but here you go.

Omega2.jpg
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 11, 2017

Odds are if there are no visible gold hallmarks and it states 18k it's fake. Although visible hallmarks don't verify anything. Saying nothing could indicate gold plated.

It should be fairly easy to pop the back. I'm guessing an unmarked Japanese quartz movement inside.

8. cofh Jun 11, 2017

Thanks everyone for your input. The scratches on the back seem to indicate that someone already tried to open it up but I can't see any obvious place where I can pop it off. Any suggestions?

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 11, 2017

Google case knife video.

My guess is a pawn shop scratched it to check gold.

10. cofh Jun 11, 2017

This is one very active forum. If I ever come to own a genuine Omega watch I know where I will come for advice. Thanks everyone
    Never thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

11. cofh Jun 11, 2017

Well I managed to open it and I know absolutely nothing about watches but the inside just screams complete piece of shit. I hope my dad's relative didn't get fleeced on this when he bought it. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. You all seem to know your stuff. Here's a pic of the inside of this monstrosity.

Omega3.jpg
  12. GuiltyBoomerang Jun 11, 2017

Looks like your typical Miyota quartz movement. Definite fake unfortunately :/

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 11, 2017

A newcomer who introduces his question, provides reasonable photos and doesn't go apeshit when told it's a fake.

Thankyou, they are still out there.

14. hendra324 dealer who would rather use aftermarket parts Jun 11, 2017

alloy bracelet I think

15. cofh Jun 12, 2017

Wow. You come to a forum to ask for help and you go off on the people that try to help? That just does not compute for me. Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge. :)

Nathan1967 likes this.
  16. GuiltyBoomerang Jun 12, 2017

He's making a comment that most new people come in, say something in one sentence (or less,) may or may not have photos of what they're after, and THEN feel entitled to quick answers and get antsy if they don't.

TLDR; you're being praised :p

Foo2rama likes this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 12, 2017

He was complimenting you. We had a few people that had their head stuck up a certain part of their anatomy the last few days. You give us hope. :)

Nathan1967 and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  18. Motman Jun 13, 2017

I think cofh was expressing surprise that people behave the opposite to how he did.

UncleBuck and Foo2rama like this.