Forums Latest Members
  1. butters Aug 1, 2019

Looking to purchase my first vintage Omega watch, any recommendations for a budget of around $500 CAD ($400 USD). Interested in picking up locally as well if you are located in Vancouver!

Been browsing around eBay and the forums, but they were either hard to identify for an all original, unrefinished watch, or the price was out of my range.

Help is appreciated! Thank you.

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 1, 2019

3. butters Aug 1, 2019

Any info on which movements that are desirable and ones to avoid? Still a noobie to watches.

Also, any tips for spotting refinished watches other than uneven coloring of movements or polished corners of cases? I find it hard to differentiate whether a dial had been redialed or not sometimes.

4. Passover Aug 1, 2019

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 1, 2019

Few months you will be wiser and a bit richer and will have a better watch.

Heed this advice my friend.

Welcome and set a avatar ;)

Benbradstock, DaveK and butters like this.
  6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 1, 2019

As Standy mentioned, stay on OF and read a lot. You need knowledge to keep from getting ripped off or make poor decisions. $500 is probably light for a nice piece, esp from a dealer. There is too much disposable income in Vancouver to keep prices in check. If you can, spend the year learning and buy next year with a bigger budget.

Vancouver has slim pickings for a vintage watch scene:
    - be careful at the flea market and J & M coin. Depending on your tolerance for risk and your knowledge as a collector, I would bring my camera and a notebook, and practice buying in your head (do not make hollow offers) but leave my wallet at home
    - take a trip to http://www.ottofriedlwatchservice.com/, and you can then try on some real vintage pieces so you can better learn what is real and what is fantasy
    - same with West Point Grey Time, they have a modest selection of honest vintage. Don’t judge them by their low-end website http://www.westpointgreytime.com/
    - either of the above can be your watchmaker. Same with the German Watchmaker in Yaletown, but he doesn’t have pieces to sell. Great rep for repair though
    - the Kerrisdale antique fair is in a few weeks, better pickings there than the flea market. Just be sure to go on Sunday, I am going Saturday and don’t want you to scoop me ;)

Break over, back to work...

Edited Aug 2, 2019
    crayons, mydeafcat and butters like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 1, 2019

What style?

What so far has tickled your fancy?

Have you considered new? Other brands?

DaveK likes this.
  8. Passover Aug 2, 2019

[​IMG] ?????

Cartman and Kyle are already joined the forum ;)

butters likes this.
  9. JwRosenthal Aug 2, 2019

Good advise so far. The first step is identifying what kind of vintage Omega you like. There are about 100 years of wrist watches represented on this site- styles changing constantly through time. Figure out which era speaks to you. When people say “vintage omega” they are usually talking about the Seamaster’s and Constellations from the 50’s-60’s. Also keep I mind that vintage watches are smaller than newer ones (with a few rare exceptions) so if you are use to wearing a 44mm watch, slapping on a 1950’s watch will feel like a ladies watch...but you adjust your perspective quickly.

Scroll through the WRUW thread and figure out which ones you like. When you are ready to jump on something- shop the classified’s here (they are group monitored and held to a very high standard) and avoid eBay like the plague until you are well educated enough to avoid the 90% of garbage and fakes.

10. Edward53 Aug 2, 2019

You are right at the lowest end for something of any quality. A possible option is a 60s Geneve. They don't have the high-end case finishing of the Seamaster range but they are still a superior watch and the automatics have the excellent 552 (no date) or 565 (date) movements. A decent one is just about possible for $400 but servicing will be extra. If you want a manual wind, a Geneve with the 601 or 611 movements is of equal quality and will cost less. You'll be lucky to get the magic word Seamaster on the dial for your budget.

Here's a 552 to give you an idea.

20190102_111048.jpg

11. river rat Aug 2, 2019

I use to think the same way at flea markets and it cost me. Use to go to the alameda antique fair a giant antique flea market I spotted a vintage omega 300 the lume was missing from the hands the seller wanted 800 bucks for it. Thinking fake I passed you never find real stuff at flea markets. At a NAWCC mart I use go to a month later I see that omega 300 for a lot more money it was real. Some times there are deals at flea markets.

joe band, Edward53 and JwRosenthal like this.
  12. JwRosenthal Aug 2, 2019

Education is the key. Lots of reading, asking lots of questions, getting involved in discussions here (even if you annoy the snot out of people with all the questions ::shy:: )
    We have all made our newbie mistakes- sometimes it's the cost of education.

13. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 2, 2019

Great points. I just edited my original post to be a bit more open. Sometimes we can get lucky at flea markets, and the community there can be fun

14. Tigeranteater Aug 2, 2019

A 60’s Dynamic might find that price range. Heed the advice of everyone above. Read, look and learn. It’s your best weapon against paying noob tax.

Syrte likes this.
  15. river rat Aug 2, 2019

I was still sort of new to collecting vintage omega’s when I passed on that vintage 300 like some one said education is the key why I come to forums like this. Some times when new it’s good to pass. When your educated you get better deals why some one got a good deal and I missed out years ago. Like others say get some education on collecting vintage watches save a lot more money then jump into our hobby of collecting vintage watches. And you will get a better deal on a vintage watch when one comes your way.

16. butters Aug 2, 2019

I have been looking at the 50s to 60 Constellations, Seamasters, as well as the the ones with just the Omega Automatic marking on the dials. Wouldn't mind the 70s as well.

I would prefer a blue or black face dial as I like their patina, but other finishes are nice as well as long as the patina doesn't look damaged in my perspective. Haven't really considered other brands nor newer watches. Also got a preference for leather straps as it would be a daily.

17. JwRosenthal Aug 2, 2019

18. muel Aug 2, 2019

Oh I like that one! I bought one like this but not as nice. I was planning on starting a thread to show it and let you all tell me why I should have waited for one like this. Sometimes we get excited and just don’t want to wait... the Internet makes it so easy!

DaveK likes this.
  19. butters Aug 2, 2019

Yea I saw that, but its out of my budget.. :(, along with the need to service it. The gold dust looks so nice too.

20. Walviskroket Aug 2, 2019

How many mm do you want?