Forums Latest Members
  1. Structguy Mar 29, 2016

Long time lurker and big "time" Omega fan. I have been spending many hours reading many posts trying to digest the vintage world which is very fun, entertaining and yet very scary since true good condition vintage seems to be scarce. I appreciate your passion. I do understand "good condition" is subjective. Thank you for all your expertise and commentary. It's very impressive. I'm looking to obtain a 60's seamaster such as a Seamaster 30 or Seamaster Calendar. I really dig the linen dials too. I'm specifically looking @ 2 on ebay but have some concerns. I am interested in adding a vintage piece to my collection/budding addition/attire. I'm sure there will be more to come, but this where I am at. The help I am seeking is further point out good/bad or inconsistent details with Omega standards/quality to help me determine if I will pursue any of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152030124394?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    and
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121911097510?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The first one looks like the Omega Refence135.003: https://www.omegawatches.com/planet...ache=1&cHash=4a7b94a72dac0713b0a33001e0ed0bff
    It does not have the coathanger S as the picture does, which may be ok based on the 20.46 million number. The lume appears to be aged on hour markers and hands. The hour markers appear to be placed within the reference as does the " swiss made" markings. The "30" seems a bit dark and the O in omega seems off. Is this due to linen? The case looks pretty original and not polished. I don't know what to say about the band. These are my opinions after 6 months of getting into the beauty of omega vintage pieces. Please be gentle.

The second one is confusing. The lume is consistent as well as the hour marker placement, swiss made , case back. However it looks like a longines case. No pics of movement either:(.

Thanks in advance for all your time and knowledge. It is much appreciated. I'm really excited about getting a nice vintage on my wrist and have patience. Please forgive my opinions if they are off mark. I just want to show that I'm in this for the long hall. I eventually will want to collect more fine vintage pieces. This is way harder than obtaining new pieces! I have no interest in obtaining watches to flip. I did not know if posting links is better than attaching photos. Let me know.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 29, 2016

I'm not seeing anything that jumps out at me with number 1, although there are others here who have keener eyes. Regardless of issues, #2 is overpriced, in my mind. Also, no movement photos, no deal.

3. cimo Mar 29, 2016

The first link almost looks a little "too clean" for my taste. That said, I would not say definitively one way or the other if it deserves suspicion.

I will say that the second link (for 950) seems a better example. The hippocampus caseback and automatic movement are nice features, and the dial hands and lume all appear to be correct. I agree it is priced high, but you'll notice the seller is taking offers. Couldn't hurt to make one. I've found it impossible to predict how far a seller is willing to move. Some won't budge (leaving me to wonder why they selected the "make offer" option), and others list their pieces for twice what they would take. Just last night I "accidentally" bought a piece after the seller insta-accepted my (what I thought) was a lowball offer. You never know.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 29, 2016

Too high and with no photo of the movement, I wouldn't touch it.

bananafish05 likes this.
  5. Structguy Mar 29, 2016

Thanks for the input. Hard to find any references for my 2nd one. Seems it is sometimes a Deville with case geometry. I'll ask for a pic of the movement and inner case back.

6. bananafish05 Mar 29, 2016

Nice looking watches. Also a noob, but based on what I've gathered the price for the second one is defs on the high end, especially without pics or details - "automatic movement is running properly..."

7. Kwijibo Mar 30, 2016

Hi bananfish. A vintage decent Omega should not be over 500 dollars. I have an 1943 for sale if you are interested. Untouched. I'm going to put it in the sale section.