Forums Latest Members
  1. crsduv Mar 14, 2016

New here to the site and to watches that cost more then $50.00.

A little background on me and then what we are looking at.......
    I am probably the most frugal person anyone on this site has ever met, my family cannot stand to go shopping with me. I have always owned watches that typically cost less than $50.00 (US) and have looked at them as utility pieces that just tell me the time, in fact I have not worn a watch in about 5 years as I have the clock on my phone. I guess what I am saying is that it almost pains me to spend this kind of money on a watch.

Two weeks ago I decided to treat myself to something that will show my current status in life, tell me the time, something I can pass along after I leave this rock, etc. I have read as much as I can on Omegas as this is what I like the most, never been a fan of Rolex's. I know it is all about preference and nobody can tell me what I like, although I do listen to opinions, is there something else I need to be looking at?

I am looking at getting a Speedmaster as these are what are scratching my itch. As stated above I am frugal, daughter calls me cheap. I plan to buy used for the cost savings over new, let someone else take the depreciation. I have been looking at both the 3510.50 and the 3570.50. I like the 3570 more based on what I have read but is it truly worth the extra to purchase? Is there another model of Speedmaster I should consider?

Any answers and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Chris

2. nurseford25 Mar 14, 2016

The speedster 3570 is the most classic loved pieces. I would (as well as many others on this forum) say that you can't go wrong with a 3570 and would recommend it over any other speedster variations, unless you are going vintage. One can be found for very reasonable costs used on this forum and others. Check out George aka Krinkily. I purchased mine from him in September and was not disappointed. Also I ride a t100 so by the looks of your forum picture you and I are on the same page and you won't regret getting a speedmaster to go along with your Triumph.

Foo2rama, Mad Dog and Flingit1200s like this.
  3. crsduv Mar 14, 2016

I just sold a 1968 T120R that I loved but kept my 2009 America, love it for the reliablity.

Thanks for the response on th 3570.

Chris

nurseford25 likes this.
  4. Hands90 Mar 14, 2016

I second the 3570.50. Though I do like the 311.30.42.30.01.005. I would pay extra for the screw bracelet.

5. Perseus Mar 14, 2016

I don't like the screws in the bracelet so I'd go for the 3570 over whatever the new super long model is called. I'd also look at the 3573 that has sapphire front and back. It's on the best looking movements I've ever seen.

3573 Back small.jpg

nurseford25 likes this.
  6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Mar 14, 2016

A Triumph screams for a Speedmaster. Still kicking myself for selling my '69 Bonneville.

nurseford25 likes this.
  7. Perseus Mar 14, 2016

Any idea why my pic is sideways?

8. Perseus Mar 14, 2016

I sold my modern Bonneville when I became a Dad. Thankfully my Pops liked mine so much he bought one too and lets me ride his.

9. Jminchoi Mar 14, 2016

A Speedy or a Seamaster are a couple of classics to start out with. Have you tried them on? Do you want a manual wind watch? Are you ok with quartz?

10. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 14, 2016

if he's frugal, he cant afford quartz

;)

11. Jminchoi Mar 14, 2016

but a used quartz... ;)
    Also depending on how big your wrists are the 3510.50 may or may not work. If you are on the smaller side, or are ok with smaller watches you'll save some money.

12. crsduv Mar 14, 2016

When I first started looking I was focusing on the Seamaster until I went down and looked at them. After trying on numerous different Seamasters I tried on a Speedmaster. I fell in love with it and knew it was the one for me. I don't mind the manual winding and have not looked at anything quartz in the Speedy line.

As stated I haven't looked at the quartz so I have no idea of price ranges. I have set a budget of $3500-$4000 on it unless I see something that just calls my name. After looking at the used market I feel the lower end of my budget is doable on a 3570.

The 3510 wasn't bad on my wrist but the 3570 looked and felt better.

After all these replies I think subconsciously I have answered my own question without knowing it. Unless there is something else along the lines of the 3570 that I should look at that someone suggests I will start my search for this.

Thanks so far

Chris

13. abrod520 Mar 14, 2016

Well, you could always try to find a vintage Speedmaster from the '70s or '80s for that budget. Or a 3590. All identical-looking (for the most part) to the 3570, except with tritium lume (usually shows as a nice creamy patina)

It's a bit of a rabbit-hole though so I wouldn't worry about it if the 3570 meets your needs ;)

14. Sturmfloppi Mar 14, 2016

You can look under the sales forum
    Kringkily has a 3570 and a 3590 for sale right now - very nice and well under $3K!

15. yinzerniner Mar 15, 2016

IMHO the 3510 shouldn't be considered at all. The dial layout, while somewhat similar to the original, is extremely crowded and thus negates the legendary legibility and harmony of the Speedy Pro. Also the movement is not an integrated chronograph; it has a module attached on top of a base movement. This is more difficult and costly to service and oftentimes the module is simply discarded and replaced with a new one during maintenance. And finally the lug width is 19mm instead of 20mm - one of the great joys of the Speedy Pro is the fact that almost any strap looks great on it. Odd-sized straps choices are significantly limited vs. even sized.
    Frugality is wasted on items you don't absolutely love. It's much better to OVERPAY for something you use all the time than underpay for a compromise.
    Lay off the coffee shop runs and/or eating out for three months and you've saved the difference between a 3510 and a 3570.

16. crsduv Mar 15, 2016

I read about this earlier this morning. I did not know about the watch band size though, was not something that occurred to me. I do plan to purchase with a bracelet and replace with a strap as I am not a huge fan of a bracelet for everyday wearing. Plus it creates more options by switching bands with my mood for the day.

My decision is made, 3570, just going to read more about the different years and decide which I want.

Thanks to all

Chris

17. Jminchoi Mar 15, 2016

Well that was quick! Also with your budget, you should be able to get a minty speedy. I got my 3570 from Kringkily last year. Just be patient and wait for the right one to act.

18. Flingit1200s Mar 15, 2016

I got my Speedy 3570.50 from Kringkily (George) last year. He found exactly what I was looking for VERY quickly and was fantastic to work with. If you contact him you will get an authentic watch at a fair price and great communication/customer service. I'll definately have him find a Seamaster 300 Coax for me when I have the funds gathered.

19. crsduv Mar 15, 2016

I think I knew all along, just didn't know if it was worth the extra money.

This is the direction I will be going after a little more research on the differences in years.

GregH likes this.
  20. chows99 Aug 17, 2016

Hope you share with us your eventual purchase! I am torn between 3510 and 3570 though~