Forums Latest Members
  1. Skv May 5, 2014

Fellow members,

Whilst changing the crown of one of my watches, the stem broke off. I still have the original package of this stem. Its serial no. Is 081 ST 9993. Underneath it says something like 2??/07. The ? Part is torn.

I have two questions: what do these 2?? numbers stand for? is it a production date of sorts, or does it relate to the specifications of the stem?

Second: where can I buy a replacement? When I checked CousinsUK for 081ST9993 I found this stem, but im unsure if it is the same one as I am looking for. https://m.cousinsuk.com/sku/watch-p...a-female-extension-stem/x9612?_=1399280236628

2. Skv May 5, 2014

[​IMG]

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 5, 2014

081ST9993 is the part number - the code you mention is a date code and not part of the part number.

However this is a split stem, so the stem is supposed to be able to be pulled apart.

The male end still in the watch movement looks like this:

[​IMG]

And the female end on the crown looks like this:

[​IMG]

Are you sure it's broken, or has it just come apart?

Cheers, Al

4. Skv May 6, 2014

Hi Al, thanks for your reply. I am sure it is broken. See the picture attached below:
    [​IMG]

5. Skv May 6, 2014

Might I ask you one relating question, Al?
    The gasket in the crown of my 168.025 Constellation is dried out. My watchmaker ordered a new crown from Omega (it says T350006466 on the package).
    I do not like the replacement crown at all. It is too high and the color does not match the case, so I replaced it with the original one (although the gasket is dried out).

What would you advise me to do? Can I leave the original crown on with no problem (I'll never let it go anywhere near water), or is there a high risk that dust enters the case? If this risk is too high, I might want to find a new replacement crown with stem. Your help is highly appreciated!

Replacement crown:
    [​IMG]

Original crown:
    [​IMG]

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 6, 2014

The replacement crown for that case is 069SX42524. The number you gave is not a part number.

If you keep the watch absolutely dry, then you should be fine.

Cheers, Al

Skv likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 6, 2014

Here's what Jules Borel shows for the crown:

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=\]ZETETNXq

My guess is that the original part numbers as shown by Borel are no longer being produced and that the part that Al shows is the modern replacement. I've not seen the replacement, and you may very well have this crown. The Ofrei.com website mentions this replacement as well.

Have your watchmaker contact Jules Borel as they sometimes have the old parts sitting around. Otherwise, you may already have the best available solution.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

PS - Must have old-timers disease! I already commented on the crown here:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-connie-168-025-tool-105.11932/page-2#post-138705

8. Skv May 6, 2014

I have emailed my watchmaker and asked him for the ref.no. of the crown he's provided me with so I can find out if it is the wrong replacement or the one that Al suggested (a modern replacement).

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 7, 2014

Yes often the crowns available from Omega are different than the originals. Sometimes the Extranet will indicate that the original is obsolete, and tell you what the replacement is, but sometimes they just give you a specific part number for a case without saying it's a replacement for the original part or not.

Most of these crowns do not have photos of them on the Extranet, so I have no idea what they look like until I order it and have it in my hands...

Cheers, Al