Forums Latest Members

Looking for an affordable Speedy service – has anyone heard of this guy?

1. ffej4 Survey Man May 29, 2015

Hi everyone,

I know it's not exactly commendable to find the cheapest watchmaker around, but I was hoping to get my Speedy serviced sometime within the next six months for around $300. To my knowledge, no parts will have to be replaced, so I am talking about a very bare-bones service, and perhaps a very light case polish.

I've found this gentleman's site, and I was wondering if anyone on the forums has heard anything good about him or – better yet – has had a watch serviced by him: http://www.thewatchtech.com/index.php

He says his going rate for the 1861 is $225, and any parts that need to be replaced will cost extra (obviously).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know many of you are not in favor of "cheap" services, but at this point, $300 is all I will really be able to afford. I suppose I could save some more and shoot for a $400 max. Let's just see what you knowledgeable folks advise.

Thanks, and cheers!

Jeff

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 29, 2015

I took my watch to an omega AD, he did an outstanding job. 2+ years later only gains 1-2 seconds a day. I think I paid $550 back then.

Certainly check references, as it does seem to good to be true.

I suspect going rate today is $550-650.

3. ffej4 Survey Man May 29, 2015

That's what I'm thinking. This guy says it's a hobby and he's not certified, so that could be partly why he's so cheap.

But still, I imagine servicing a chronograph takes 4+ dedicated hours of very focused work, or longer.

I'll continue to chat back and forth with him. I asked him a number of questions in my last email, so we will see what he says.

4. bristnj May 29, 2015

If you're in the US, I've used Richard Awiza - RA Time (www.ratime.com) and Chris Abell (www.abellwatchmakers.com). Both would do a nice job and are professional & certified watchmakers. The service would likely be under $300 I believe. Good luck.

ffej4 likes this.
  5. ffej4 Survey Man May 29, 2015

I will look into them! Thank you very much for name dropping these gentlemen. I don't think my watch NEEDS a service, but peace of mind would be worth it, since the history of it is unknown.

Cheers!

bristnj likes this.
  6. Moppel May 30, 2015

Are you sure you want to give your Speedy in someone's hand who says "it's a hobby and he's not certified"?
    I know that Omega charges a lot for servicing a watch. But to my experience it is money well spent.
    I understand if someone can't afford it. But then I would try to put some bucks away every month and give my money&watch to a certified watchmaker. And since your watch does not need to be serviced right now you might be able to save enough.

And to know that your beauty was treated & serviced from a pro is probably worth the money.

Taddyangle, ffej4 and pascs like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2015

$225 is abnormally low for a chronograph service, any watchmaker with decent ability will be asking more than that

wagudc and ffej4 like this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 30, 2015

Send it to me, I will try to open it with a pair of scissors, spray it with WD40 ,wear it swimming for a week and buff it whilst doing the car.

Serviced, waterproof testing and polish $50 ::stirthepot::

wagudc, Giff2577, gemini4 and 4 others like this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 30, 2015

No no, send it to me.

I just changed a battery on a quartz watch and now I've got a new set of screwdrivers from India, I'm just bustin' to do a chronograph!

wagudc, gemini4, ffej4 and 4 others like this.
  10. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 30, 2015

I can't recommend him personally but I bought a 69' speedy that had just been serviced by him, and I can honestly say it kept better time than any of my Omega chronometers. I know of one watch collector who would never use anyone else.

ffej4 likes this.
  11. ffej4 Survey Man May 30, 2015

Dooood wut is ur address, I'll mail my speedy to you right away ;)

wagudc likes this.
  12. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 30, 2015

Survey man, keep us posted. Still would be very apprehensive about sending a speedy without knowing how many and how often he serviced them specifically. I would feel much more comfortable sending in an older non omega watch (ie cheaper watch) to test him first.

ffej4 likes this.
  13. ffej4 Survey Man May 30, 2015

If I do end up going with him, it will be after I talk to some references. But, if it goes well, I will definitely let you guys know!

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 30, 2015

A dollar saved today is sometimes 2 dollars wasted tomorrow.

Get professional to do a professional job. I would Stop trying to get a bargain deal out of everything. Sometimes it's just better to be coherent with your taste.

15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 30, 2015

He could be a professional, this has yet to be determined.

I suspect survey man has more time than money. No problem spending time looking for value, if you have it.

16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 30, 2015

fair enough

ffej4 and Taddyangle like this.
  17. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 30, 2015

If you can't afford to do it right..........Will you be able to afford to do it over?

Not being mean-spirited, just an old saying that popped into my head.

Hijak, CajunTiger, bristnj and 2 others like this.
  18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 30, 2015

Brilliant

bristnj and ffej4 like this.
  19. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 30, 2015

Have any of you guys actually bothered to check out the link that the OP posted?

ffej4 likes this.
  20. KIMBER May 30, 2015

I have Dennis. If it was me I might give him a chance after checking references.

ffej4 likes this.