Forums Latest Members

Looking for advice relating to Vintage Omega Speedmaster Automatic

1. benjesaurus Mar 18, 2017

New to the watch world so take it easy on me.
    A couple of years ago I was handed this watch, looking to sell however I've been advised that not many places or buyers will take it without original strap, as you can see, the person using this watch prior to me (my uncle) had a green material band as I believe he used it when walking.

If you could take a look at the pictures and advise me how much I'd be looking to pay for an original band OR how much I would be looking to get for the watch without.

It's all in working order, I had it tested and battery replaced a few months ago.

All the best,

Ben

unnamed.jpg IMG_0339.JPG
  2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 18, 2017

Just out of interest, what battery did you use?

:eek:

M.C.B1974 and Davidt like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 18, 2017

Well your a scam, you got scammed, or the watch is fake...

Or your getting the worst advice ever. Is the person that told you it needs a strap the same one that changed to battery for you?

benjesaurus likes this.
  4. benjesaurus Mar 18, 2017

To be honest, The guy who replaced the battery didn't know much about it or more probably wasn't interested in helping me.
    The people who told me I needed a strap was in fact at a pawn shop, so looking back you're probably right. Maybe a little naive of me.

It's definitely real, my uncle took his watches very seriously. Any idea on the value without the strap? They are SO expensive, the only one I could find close to it was $550 however the website looked a little suspect.

5. benjesaurus Mar 18, 2017

Sorry I wouldn't be able to tell you, I just had it replaced, don't know much about it.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 18, 2017

How much did the battery cost. Also these have issues sitting in drawers for a few days. If it's sitting in a drawer after a few days does it run fast or slow? This can help tell you if the battery is correct or not. If the voltage is wrong it can do different things after not being worn or moved for a few days. If it's correct it should run about 10 seconds a day fast after sitting for 3 days

Edited Mar 18, 2017
    benjesaurus and oddboy like this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 18, 2017

Get a cold fusion battery in there and you won't have to worry about for at least a million years.

benjesaurus and blufinz52 like this.
  8. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 18, 2017

That is a real shame that you changed the battery. There are those on here who would have given an extra grand if it still had the original Mercury cell.

benjesaurus, Foo2rama and blufinz52 like this.
  9. Wryfox Mar 18, 2017

benjesaurus likes this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Mar 18, 2017

You had the battery replaced in an automatic mechanical watch... talk us through that.

Maybe read this article first, to understand why you're getting the responses you're getting: http://chronomaddox.com/c1045_in_detail.html

::facepalm1::

11. benjesaurus Mar 19, 2017

Ok, first of all, thanks for all the advice, I REALLY appreciate it. The links and information have been really helpful.
    I had 3 watches to sell, a Breitling, Rolex and this. I had the 3 of them looked at and sorted out. Apparently, I didn't have this one altered as I didn't have the band required to sell so I'm assuming that's still in there however, I'm going to ask the man to open it up on Monday so we can have a look inside.

In regards to your ticking questions. Since taking these pictures yesterday, it's moved two hours. So I'm thinking I'm going to need to do something about that before selling?

More advice would be great and thank you so much for all provided so far.

12. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 19, 2017

Your definition of "sorted out" may be at variance with the majority here..... :cautious:

I strongly suggest you get hold of somebody who knows not to put batteries in mechanical watches for future work.

13. benjesaurus Mar 19, 2017

Ok. So when the people on here are referring to "original mercury battery" and "cold fusion battery"
    What does that mean?

14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 19, 2017

It shouldn't use a battery it's an automatic. Not sure what kind of rubes you think the members are but you made a huge mistake asking such a ridiculous question.

benjesaurus likes this.
  15. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 19, 2017

OK, I'll bite one last time...

Your watch, if genuine, is a MECHANICAL AUTOMATIC watch. It has no battery and no place internally to put one. If whoever tested it put a battery in it they are either a) magician, b) a liar or c) barking mad.

If however, you did manage to have a battery put into it, then what you have is a fake.

Does that clear things up?

If not, then I'm afraid you are beyond my limited powers of explanation and education.

RJwatches and benjesaurus like this.
  16. benjesaurus Mar 19, 2017

Ok excellent, thanks for clearing that up!
    SO moving forward. How do I get this watch ticking at a healthy rate again?

PS. I'll get some pictures of the inside of this watch tomorrow so we can all have a look and follow the saga.

17. benjesaurus Mar 19, 2017

Thanks for your feedback efauser, much appreciated.
    As a complete noob, it's comforting to know that I will be completely ripped apart and scrutinised every step of the way.

18. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 19, 2017

Actually, having given the matter more thought, and ignoring Occam's Razor completely, I think the OP has come across the extremely rare Heisenberg Chameleon Omega which spontaneously oscillates between two quantum states. The OP has managed to capture one state, and I strongly suspect the other is pictured below.

OmegaSpeedsonics.JPG

This would explain how the watch can exist with two seemingly incompatible movements in a single physical matrix and how the original watch morphs when in the someone else's possession. I'm also really intrigued as to whether a dead or live cat will emerge when it's opened up......

:p

P.S. - for the benefit of the OP - none of the above is meant to be taken seriously........or is it?????????

Foo2rama and benjesaurus like this.
  19. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 19, 2017

This should be interesting. A replaced dial never crossed my mind. If that's what it turns out to be, I like ice cream on my slice of humble pie.

benjesaurus likes this.
  20. benjesaurus Mar 19, 2017

That's a really nice watch,

What kind of battery would that take?

Sorry for the late reply, 2 of my Rare Pepes escaped from dank meme farm.