Forums Latest Members

Looking for advice on my 2 speedmasters (105-012-66 and 145022-69 ST)

1. dodo44 May 20, 2017

2. SgWatchBaron May 20, 2017

It may help if you copy and paste the contents of the other thread into here...

3. dodo44 May 20, 2017

Hello everyone.
    I am more a Longines guy but the speedmaster has always had a sweet spot in my heart. I bought a sapphire/hesalite sandwich speedmaster with my first salary. To make the story short, I am now the owner of 2 speedmasters that have filled my craving for speedmasters. One is a 105-012-66 for its connection to the Apollo program and the other is a tropical/chocolate dial 145022-69 ST for the serviceability of its movement and its allure. They need some work to be brought to collector grade (both appear to be unpolished) and I am seeking some advice on what my next move should be (what would you do to those watches, where would you get them serviced -are there alternatives to STS in the US -pm me with suggestions; I am not sure that I trust my watchmaker to work on these)? The watches are not for sale. Both were "drawer" finds.
    Thanks,
    Nick

105-012-66 HF. I mounted it on a JB Champion bracelet. There is an inscription on the back (a name and date; Dec 1967). The serial number is 2495XXXX.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

145022-69 ST. It came with an original 1039/516 bracelet stamped 70 1. The serial number is 2842XXXX. The dial has a beautiful chocolate hue but there is some glue/dried oil in one of the sub-registers. I understand that this is outside the typical range for tropical dials but I have no reason to question its originality. How would you try to clean that? Mineral oil and some cotton swab? Someone was also very creative when reluming the hands. Should I have someone relume them (any suggestion) or should I buy a period correct set? How much would it cost? The watch is missing a pusher. Would STS or other watchmakers have those in stock?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Peter Lundberg May 21, 2017

Hi,

Congrats on two very nice watches! I also have a 105.012 but with a CB case. I´m also looking at a 145.022 -69, a watch that I think I would be spending a bit more time on my wrist than the 105.012. They are after old watches. I also bought a 1039 bracelet with correct endlinks for a reasonable (well, thats maybe stretching it a bit...) price. It will probably end up on my 105.012 even if its date is more in line with the 145.022. I will post pictures of my 105 as sons as its back from my watch maker.

There should be no problem (I think) with the pushers for your 145.022. You could probably find them on e-bay as well. Just make sure that they are of the right kind. Others will also fit, but original look and dimensions is always preferable.

I can't give any advice on a local watchmaker. But I think it´s better to use a lokal since it is easier to make sure that they do exactly what you want. No hand changes, no polishing etc, etc... Sending to STS might have you ending up with a "as new" watch but with many parts changed. Just my 2 cents!

/Peter