Forums Latest Members

Looking for Advice-Omega Hour Vision

1. efox4583 Aug 5, 2016

I cant think of a better way to jump into this forum than by asking for some advice. I own an Omega Hour Vision Watch. It is from the original year 2007, has a silver dial and black strap. The watch was not working correctly and after sending to Omega, I have learned that my watch needs a complete overhaul and I just cant afford that at the moment. If this particular watch was in the first year that the 8500 Caliber movement was released, is there any additional value on the piece? I am toying with selling the watch, but if there is the potential that down the road the time piece may be worth a lot more, then offers I have received, I may consider keeping it. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. novina Aug 5, 2016

First mistake is sending it to Omega. Please service here for many, many threads about Omega service. Most say overpriced and no where to send a vintage watch, although yours is not. The advise that you will receive here is to find an Omega certified watchmaker in your area. Will be cheaper for you. Just tell us where you are and others should chime in with a recommendation or two.

3. rcs914 Aug 5, 2016

However, being that it is a Co-axial movement, you need to send it to an independent that is actually trained on servicing them. Many won't touch them. What were you quoted for a service cost?

4. efox4583 Aug 5, 2016

Omega's service cost was quoted at around $600. The guy that I bring my watches to in Chicago is great. He was the one that told me to send the watch to Omega, claiming that parts for the movement are very difficult for him to obtain. I brought the watch to a different watchmaker who quoted me $500 to service the piece. Maybe this is standard service pricing?

5. Mothra Aug 5, 2016

with respect to your question about value, no, there's no additional value based on year of 8500 manufacture. I have the same watch and love it - if you can't afford service right now, why not pop it in a drawer for 12 months?

6. rcs914 Aug 5, 2016

Yeah, that sounds about right from what I understand, but I don't have a Co-ax movement.