Forums Latest Members
  1. Kazyole Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys,

So, not strictly an omega question so sorry if this is the wrong place to put this thread, but I have a bit of an interesting project watch coming in soon, and am trying to figure out who to take it to to have it built. I've been checking yelp and trying to read up, but the vast majority of reviews are from people who are having batteries swapped, so they're not super helpful. I figured you guys would know better.

I have an old (1960s) case coming in from huguenin freres. The case is built for a Valjoux 7734. I have a donor watch ready with a Valjoux 7734 in it when the case gets here, and a new date disc for the movement.

Basically what I'd need done would be an overall cleaning/service of the 7734, swapping the date disc out, and then transferring it to the new case/dial/hands.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks!

The case is one of these:
    [​IMG]

2. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Jan 26, 2016

I have more customers from NYC than any other single location.

When I ask why these customers simply don't use someone local, the answer is always the same, they can't find a watchmaker who is skilled, trustworthy, and not full of BS. Surely there are some, but they must keep a low profile.

One longtime client decided to try a local source and brought his vintage family heirloom pocket watch to a "trustworthy" watchmaker somewhere in Manhattan, when he got the watch back many months later, the overall workmanship was terrible, including the glueing of the crystal to the dial and bezel. He sent it to me, apologized for his mistake, and I fixed it, cleaned off the glue, fixed the other problems, and installed a proper crystal...without the glue.

What you are asking to be done is out of the norm and it's not straight forward, so you will need to find someone who is skilled beyond parts or battery changes.

Rob

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 26, 2016

Any competent watchmaker should be able to do a simple service, exchange the date disk during the service, and the put the dial/hands on and case it. There is nothing out of the ordinary in what you are asking...

Can't really give you a recommendation in NYC though - try sending a PM to Kringkily and see if he will give up the name of his watchmaker.

Cheers, Al

4. werdna77 Jan 26, 2016

I've been researching the same thing for a good contact name; referral from some friends. But nobody specific

5. Drawarms Jan 26, 2016

My family is based in NYC and has been in the watch/jewelry business since the 1900s. We have several watchmakers on staff who work on watches based in Long Island. I'm happy to meet anyone in manhattan to talk about watch repairs and I can be your point person for your repairs or can visit our public showroom on Long Island (Kardesh Jewelers) and speak with Jeff.

We have an office in the city but its for our diamond wholesale business. Thats why if you cannot make it to long island, ill be happy to meet you at a local starbucks and write anyone up with a service ticket OR provide a shipping label to send in. We regularly service Omega, Rolex, Longines, Chronographs, AP, Hublot, Patek.

PM me with questions

www.kardeshjewelers.com

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 26, 2016

For high-end work, I can recommend Alkis Kotsopoulos. He was with Lange & Sohne for years, before going independent, and does excellent work.

He is (or was, last I was in contact a few years ago) located on Madison Avenue at 53rd Street

7. Drawarms Jan 26, 2016

Alkis is great and is the only one certified in Lange in NYC. However, I think his services start at $750 and up.

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 27, 2016

Ah, well, when I used him several years ago he "only" charged me around $400. And we're told that there is no inflation...:rolleyes: