Forums Latest Members
  1. claude Mar 25, 2014

Hi,
    I looking for a vinage Seamaster 300, if possible a Military. I not an expert and dont want to by a face one or an over valued one.

What do you think of this one : my favorit :
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/ORIGINAL-Her...soires_Uhren_Armbanduhren&hash=item4ad24dd87bPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

other options :
    1 ) http://www.ebay.de/itm/OMEGA-SEAMAS...soires_Uhren_Armbanduhren&hash=item27e0d994dbPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2 ) http://www.ebay.de/itm/1966-Omega-S...soires_Uhren_Armbanduhren&hash=item19ea5923aePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I realy also like this one : http://www.ebay.de/itm/OMEGA-GENEVE...soires_Uhren_Armbanduhren&hash=item35d3a8d2a1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

coments welcome

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 25, 2014

3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 25, 2014

There are plenty of vintage SM300 for sale, just be careful as many are fakes. When it comes to military examples they are much less common and are also prone to being faked. FWIW - a legitimate military examples will cost about 3-4X a civilian version.

4. claude Mar 26, 2014

Are the above mentioned real or fakes ?

5. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 26, 2014

Respectable Member claude

Generally, the authentic and factory-original ones do not come cheap, especially the military examples.

There are many who are after ' the cheap and good stuff'. Usually the cheap stuff is never good, since it is either a franken or worse still, a total fake.

With the advent of the computer/internet, very unlikely people who have the genuine examples do not know the value of what they have. Only once in a long while, we do come across one or two ignorant sellers.

We are lucky now, since we have reference books and also forums to consult, before making a purchase.

I wish you luck and success.

Thank you.

6. claude Mar 26, 2014

Dear Seamonster and Joe K,

Thank you for the answer, following your mails, the above mentioned Seamasters 300 can't be originals.
    So I keep looking for the right one. If you have any suggestion about a seller, please leave a notice.

best regards
    Claude

7. jb73 Mar 26, 2014

I'm new to this forum, but will be posting my SM300 this weekend. Just enjoying it for the rest of the week!

Just took this photo, enjoy.

[​IMG]

citizenrich and dsio like this.
  8. Gaz6263 Mar 26, 2014

Had to join in. This is mine delivered to the American army. image.jpg

Varasc and citizenrich like this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2014

Welcome mate, nice to have you here

10. lanierdams Mar 26, 2014

My favorite omega vintage Watch,but many fakes or original and services pieces mixed.

My 165.024 gilt dial

image.jpg

An original SM300 royal Navy ::love::
    Credit:New old Time

big triangle
    Circle T on dial
    original caseback with military markers

image.jpg

image.jpg

Varasc and citizenrich like this.
  11. claude Mar 26, 2014

wow, beautifull watches. I'm jealous ;)

12. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 26, 2014

Call me skeptical, but for the amount of wear on that case back the issue numbers seem to be awfully fresh....:cautious:

cristos71 likes this.
  13. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 26, 2014

14. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 26, 2014

Actually, this is incorrect. In the early versions (i believe prior to 1970) the case back was machined before applying the military markings. However, in later versions the markings from the Omega factory were left intact and the MoD numbers were engraved on top.

The point I was trying to make is that the MoD markings look fresh - while the Omega factory engraving is very worn and the case back looks like it was polished a number of times, you can still see the high spots in the MoD markings where the mandrel dug into the metal. You would expect to see this if the engraving is fresh and these markings are not consistent with the overall wear on the watch.

I might be wrong, but it is well known that such markings have been faked in the past. My 2c

15. lanierdams Mar 27, 2014

16. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Mar 27, 2014

Maybe the military bought it second hand ;-)

17. Zuke Mar 27, 2014

[​IMG]

I'm would also be a little skeptical about this one. For those who have more knowledge please feel free to correct me - but shouldn't the 5 minute markers on the bezel also have lume? This particular watch only shows lume on the 10 minute markers.

18. Hijak Mar 27, 2014

I believe your incorrect on this...

19. Zuke Mar 27, 2014

The vintage SM300 waters can be very murky

20. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 27, 2014

There are a number of different styles of inserts used on the SM300 from this era and I believe this one is correct.
    IMO, the watch as a whole looks correct to me, its just the MoD markings I am questioning.