Forums Latest Members
  1. cfig Feb 25, 2014

Hi folks, I've been browsing different vintage watch forums and websites for a while and am looking for suggestions on my first watch purchase. You seem like a nice helpful group :)

I'm turning 40 in April and have decided to gift myself with a nice watch. I've been thinking about it for a while and after doing some research have really been drawn to the look of different Omega models.

I'm a slender guy with a pretty small wrist (about 6.5") so I want to find something that won't look massive on my wrist, and I work in a creative profession so I'm totally open to something a bit different as far as color or design though I'd prefer a non-gold model. I'd love to get one made in 1974 if possible (I found it a bit funny that another thread about 1974 models was just posted) but anything that age or older would be fine. Budget is around $900-1200 US.

In looking at different models, it seems like a Seamaster might be a good choice as it looks to be a slightly smaller watch that would fit me well. I also really like the funky look of something like this 1972 de Ville Dynamic but I feel like it might look really huge on me:

[​IMG]

I'd love to get some suggestions on models to check out or tips on what to look for. Thanks!

2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Feb 25, 2014

Some of the slim-line Seamaster De Villes of the 60s (calibre /552/563/565) would suit too, and you may have some money left over. Most non-diving Seamasters of the period would also look great. Anything with a 34mm case diameter from nine to three o'clock should suite.

You're right about gargantuan watches on small wrists - they look very much like the latest examples of home detention tracking devices :)

marco, cfig and dantaspaulo like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 25, 2014

I also have small wrists, but they are very wiry and strong for their size :D

The Dynamic you showed would be a good match, the oval shape gives some size while being "short" enough across the wrist so as not to overlap and look stupid.

Here's my Dynamic on my wrist, it's a bit close but you can see how it fits.

http://omegaforums.net/threads/wruw-today.567/page-560#post-124837

cfig likes this.
  4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Feb 25, 2014

As a skinny bugger myself, I'm kind of partial to my old 352 caliber bumper...... a bit smaller than the 30mm stuff from the same era, although both look reasonable on a slim wrist. The late 40s & early 50s seemed to produce smaller, thinner watches that wear well on us lightweight types. Plus they're a bit more elegant than the seventies stuff.

(ignore the Rolex.... nasty things Rolexes..... it got sold to pay for a Constellation) P1000103.JPG P1000110.JPG P1010850.JPG

Vitezi and cfig like this.
  5. Mathlar Feb 26, 2014

cfig likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 26, 2014

7. Mathlar Feb 26, 2014

Did I mention how comfortable it is on the Chronostop deployant? And how smooth the second hand runs with that fast beat 1012?

Mothra and Dablitzer like this.
  8. dantaspaulo Feb 26, 2014

Having a small wrist myself, I find that the midsize De Ville (those with a cal. 671) looks great and they fit perfectly -- and they are usually very affordable.

seamaster de ville.JPG

Tritium, cfig, Togri and 1 other person like this.
  9. Togri Feb 26, 2014

My wrists are not that big either and I bought a Seamaster 30, cal. 286 as my second watch. First was also a seamaster 30 with a cal 267. I just love this watch. It looks great with a shirt and it looks great with a t-shirt and even though im not at all into gold watches, the details of gold on white backdrop is nice. The old seamasters with 30 mm movements are my favorites and they are not that expensive. You can get a very very nice speciment for far less than $900. Good luck man! So exciting to buy your first vintage watch, I would go for a 30 mm movement from the 50's or 60's myself :)

foto2.JPG

cfig likes this.
  10. cfig Feb 26, 2014

Thanks guys, some great feedback and very helpful.

monodec, I already work from home so I'd definitely like to avoid the impression that I'm there against my will :)

JimInOz, greatly appreciate the pic of the Dynamic, thanks, it's not as chunky as I would've expected. And Mathlar, I was actually looking at your watch last night but I'm a good month out from purchasing. I'll definitely seriously consider it if it's still around when I'm ready to buy though.

Fritz, dantaspaulo, and Togri, thanks for the pics, something nice and clean like any of those would be great. To ask a dumb question, what does the caliber number represent exactly?

Also, as far as buying the watch itself, it looks like lots of people buy and sell watches here and I've found some independent dealers online as well as on eBay. I'll probably avoid eBay as there's lots of obvious risks there, but is there anywhere else that's recommended to look or places to avoid? Thanks.

11. dantaspaulo Feb 26, 2014

The caliber is the movement model you have inside the watch.

The best place for seeing really cool pieces is the WRUW topic in the "Open Discussion" section of the forum. Also, the Sales forum is very, very good. I'd say some of the finest pieces around are avaliable there.

12. cfig Feb 26, 2014

Gotcha, thanks.

And I'll check those out, I've already found a few for sale that I really like.

13. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2014

Good, 'cause I think it had a redial, anyway. ;)

14. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2014

I'd keep a close look at the Watches For Sale subforum right here. Lots of folks have great stuff FS.

15. cfig Feb 27, 2014

Thanks Adam, and you're right, I've already found a few I'm keeping an eye on.

16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 27, 2014

I have a small wrist and most vintage Omega models fit well. Here's a stealth chronometre...

[​IMG]

cfig and Patrick Dixon like this.
  17. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 27, 2014

I think this early 1950's manual wind would be a nice fit...;)

[​IMG]

18. Togri Feb 27, 2014

Cfig, when you find a watch post a picture on this thread. It's funny to see what people end up with :) Joe K's watch above is nice. I have on myself just alike from 1959. Best quality, elegant and very reasonable prices.

Some inspiration pics (not mine but from the collector who sold me my last seamaster purchase. He takes some decent photos) image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

cfig likes this.
  19. cfig Feb 27, 2014

Definitely will, and thanks for the pics guys, I think something along these lines would be a nice choice for my first (because I know how I am and there will most likely be more to follow).

Joe, I already have your other thread bookmarked :)

20. cfig Jun 19, 2017

Realized that I didn't ever revisit this post as promised, so quite a bit later here's the lovely Dynamic I purchased from a fellow forum member, aftermarket strap added. Fits my wrist beautifully, thanks for the advice all!

[​IMG]