Forums Latest Members

Looking for a Respirator... help needed!

1. lonemian Jun 10, 2018

recently somehow I picked up a Respirator fever....

Below is one I found on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ze...449054?hash=item4b4386b5de:g:ANwAAOSwx8pa-OOSPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Do you think it's a reasonable deal to pickup? In my opinion, its dial looks original but I'm not sure about its glass (and you know, having original glass is super important...)

It'd be also great if you can route me to someone trying to their respirator.

Thanks!!

2. rkman11 Jun 10, 2018

Dial appears to have been relaquered (see the slight pooling around the markers.) Not a huge issue, and common on these, but something to note. They require service often, so factoring that in, price is just ok. Good luck!

lonemian likes this.
  3. lonemian Jun 10, 2018

Thank you! Does a Reapirator need a service more often compared to others? Can you share why? Is it its movement problem?

Im wearing an omega seamaster from 70's without a service for 3years, but it keeps time accurate.. If I were to expose it to frequent services, that really hurts my appetite for a model....

4. Dan S Jun 10, 2018

Looks good to me. Some lume loss from the hands. Movement is high quality, I don't think it will need more attention than any other quality movement from that era. Were you joking about the importance of the original crystal? That should not be a concern. Seems a bit expensive given that it's small and an unpopular shape, but it's nice-looking so you will have to decide whether you want to pay up, or be patient and wait to save $100-$200.

GuiltyBoomerang and lonemian like this.
  5. lonemian Jun 10, 2018

Do you think it's repainted too? Im so sad to find I was wrong on it..

6. Dan S Jun 10, 2018

Looks original to me. Font and logo look good. Lume good.

7. lonemian Jun 10, 2018

Do you mean it's re-lumed?

8. Dan S Jun 10, 2018

Lacquer would refer to a clear over-coat.

lonemian likes this.
  9. rkman11 Jun 10, 2018

No, just the clear coat reapplied. Factory wouldn’t have had the pooling that seems to be here. Can’t say for sure with the current pics but I’ve seen it before with these, and it appears to have been done here.

lonemian likes this.
  10. lonemian Jun 10, 2018

I see. Nice catch... I wondered the pool around markers. I thought someone over-re-glued the markers or so.

11. rkman11 Jun 10, 2018

Should have added a caveat - only based on my experience, and that was the hand wind version. Watch was serviced then required another service about a year later. Could speak to the quality of the first service more than anything. So as always, if you get proof of a reputable current service you’ll be fine, if not, something to factor in to the cost.

lonemian likes this.
  12. Dan S Jun 10, 2018

That was @rkman11's observation. I know what he was referring to, but I have no first-hand knowledge about that kind of clear-coat. Either way, it seems like a relatively minor issue that won't really be noticeable to the naked eye.

lonemian likes this.
  13. Vitezi Jun 11, 2018

This thread is useless without pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (thanksPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network)

GuiltyBoomerang and rkman11 like this.
  14. rkman11 Jun 11, 2018

Thanks. Really hard to say re: clear coat - the pooling doesn’t seem to be on each marker. Either way, as @Dan S said, it’s a minor issue, if at all, and you really wouldn’t notice it in person. I’ve seen ones with much more pooling that in person you could hardly see. Lume looks good, some loss on hands but better that than redone - I think it’s a decent choice.