Forums Latest Members
  1. SuperYova Jan 3, 2022

This mid-1970s Omega Seamaster Cosmic 2000 (with original box and papers), originally owned by my grandfather (of course), has never worked right. Over the last decade I have attempted to get it serviced by various local to Florida watchmakers -- without success.

Issues range from running 5 minutes fast per day to the second hand skipping beats to a grinding feeling when setting the time and date.

I want to try one last time before giving up for good and hoping to get recommendations on vintage Omega miracle-workers. Due to sentimental reasons I am willing to go all in almost regardless of servicing cost or location. Who is generally considered the best at fixing the unfixable?

IMG_1691.jpg
  2. ChiefMark Jan 3, 2022

3. FREDMAYCOIN Jan 3, 2022

What Part of Florida are you in?

4. SuperYova Jan 3, 2022

Jacksonville.

5. FREDMAYCOIN Jan 3, 2022

If your ever in the west palm beach area. I could recommend a third generation watchmaker who will fix any vintage or modern watch at very reasonable price.

SuperYova and TheGreekPhysique like this.
  6. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 3, 2022

I don’t know about other members, but here in the UK many of us post our watches to our repairers, Royal Mail does a next day delivery for about £8.00 which includes £500 insurance, although you can pay more and increase the cover.

We also phone, email and exchange photos with the repairer.

So, I’m assuming Jacksonville to West Palm Beach is equally doable.

SuperYova and Larry S like this.
  7. DON Jan 3, 2022

Skipping sounds like not enough tension with the spring for the sweep pinion.

Grinding. Could be a tight canon pinion if it's also hard to turn the crown.

Just guessing as I'm not sure what movement is in your watch, but style is beyond the years I purchased

Do not take it to a jeweler unless they have a watchmaker on site. Otherwise they will just send it out and double the price

Do a Google search for the AWCI and NAWCC and see if they list watchmakers in your area

DON

SuperYova likes this.
  8. SuperYova Jan 4, 2022

9. SuperYova Jan 4, 2022

Agreed, I am ready at this point to send it off. Will check out the West Palm option.

Spruce likes this.
  10. SuperYova Jan 4, 2022

Please do!

11. SuperYova Jan 4, 2022

Fascinating insight!

Never heard of AWCI and NAWCC organizations but appreciate the tip and will use this in my search parameters from now on.

12. Syzygy Jan 4, 2022

Your understanding is correct if you wish the piece to remain as you currently see it. Omega would likely, even if provided specific instruction not to, take it back to 'as new' as possible esthetically. That said, they would be a perfect last resort if you cannot find an independent.

SuperYova likes this.
  13. kkt Jan 4, 2022

If it were my watch, I'd send it to Nesbit's in Seattle. https://www.nesbitswatchservice.com
    They are Omega-authorized so they can order spare parts and they are in their multiple generations as watchmakers authorized by Omega. If you ask them not to polish it, they will respect that.

SkunkPrince, ChiefMark and SuperYova like this.