Forums Latest Members

Looking for a dial and or advice for a Seamaster Chronometer

1. Bottomdrawer Jan 25, 2017

Greetings,

As part of a bundle package I recently purchased a 1958 Seamaster Chronometer (505 movement) in an 18k gold case. Great watch - it just has the wrong (very wrong) dial.

Some time at least four years before I bought it (and two owners ago) the dial was replaced with a Constellation replacement from the 1970s.

I am having a difficult time sourcing the proper Chronometer dial (preferably from within the U.S.) I would even consider a comparable Seamaster period dial so it was not such a bad marriage (botch job)

I am attaching an image from an earlier thread of what I am seeking. And another of what it looks like now (just cant live with it this way)

Anyone have one or point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

2017-01-25 23.33.19.jpg 2017-01-17 15.11.46.jpg 2017-01-17 15.37.19.jpg
  2. omegastar Jan 26, 2017

Your constellation dial might turn out to be 18k gold, get it back when having it changed.
    Good luck in your search.
    Mounir

Bottomdrawer likes this.
  3. Bottomdrawer Jan 26, 2017

Thank you. Yes it is 18k and hallmarked on both the lugs and on the inside back cover - I have a very honest and trustworthy local watch repairman who will change the dial once I find one.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 26, 2017

It is highly unlikely you will find an original dial for you watch that is in presentable condition.

Omega hasn't stocked them in decades. These Seamaster Chronometres were uncommon in comparison to Constellations, which used the same movements.

Your best bet would be to look for a beat up original watch to harvest the dial. This will be neither cheap nor easy.

Not trying to be a pessimist, just a realist.
    gatorcpa

Bottomdrawer likes this.
  5. DON Jan 26, 2017

Just curious, but is the dial glued on or held with double sided tape?

Impossible that a 70's dial would fit a 505 movement with the dial posts still attached. Same for the matching hands as they would need to be reamed out if too small or they wouldn't fit if too large.

Also appears to be the right fit for the case all around. Another somehow I doubt a 70's dial would fit so nicely into a late 50's case

What is the reference number on the case back?

DON

6. Bottomdrawer Jan 26, 2017

Agreed - it is a long shot but there are a few folks with piles of parts.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 26, 2017

[​IMG]

If that is your watch on the left, I've seen that style of dial before. I believe Watchco in Australia and other OEM suppliers carried these.

What I think it is, is a modern Omega replacement dial for a Constellation, made in the 1990's or early 2000's. Certainly not correct for the watch, but not an ugly redial either.

It would have the dial feet in the correct places for a cal. 501/505 movement.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Bottomdrawer likes this.
  8. Bottomdrawer Jan 26, 2017

Don, I haven't completely disassembled it yet-so I don't know how it is attached. I think it was an older dial obtained in the 1970s.There was an old thread on this watch back in 2013 and someone said that there was a small hoard of these old stock dials available back IN the 1970s from Australia (?) - so I misspoke it was not a 1970s dial. Here is a photo of the case back.

2017-01-23 15.22.09.jpg
  9. Bottomdrawer Feb 5, 2017

I think I found what I need. I will have to buy a whole watch to get it, but at least the parts will match.

Thanks all.....