Forums Latest Members

WTB Looking for a 1963 Seamaster....

1. Kate Aug 7, 2013

My husband's 50th birthday is coming up and I'd like to find a 1963 Seamaster - any for sale? Thanks, Kate

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 8, 2013

What is your budget? Is he a watch collector at the moment? If so, What sort of stuff does he have? Is your priority "oooh shiny" or all original?

3. ulackfocus Aug 8, 2013

Asked in an unanswered PM. :(

....... 'cept that last one, for which you owe me 5¢ royalties. :D

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 8, 2013

Half tempted to send you 5c (aud, so only 4c USD) and make you cop the fee.

5. Kate Aug 8, 2013

He is not a collector. I thought this would be a thoughtful gift for him. I'm looking in the $750-$1200 range. Any suggestions of where I might find one? I'm very concerned about buying off ebay. Thanks!

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 8, 2013

Kate

As someone who passed that milestone last year, I would have loved to receive a thoughtful gift like that and in fact a good friend of mine will be receiving just such a gift for her Christmas present (I hope she's not spying on this forum or that's blown)

One thing to factor into your search is that, unless there is documentary evidence to suggest that, whatever watch you buy for him, has been serviced in the last 5 years, if you want him to wear the watch, it will need to be serviced. The oil and other lubricants dry out over time and if the watch is not stripped down, cleaned and re-lubricated, the moving parts will wear rapidly. It would be worth finding a local watchmaker to find out how much this would cost and if you tell us where you are based, there will be someone on this site who can recommend where to go for this.

It is also worth keeping an eye on the "For Sale" section, here, as well.

Good luck with your search.

7. Kate Aug 8, 2013

Thank you Stewart!