Forums Latest Members
  1. JacksFailinLiver Aug 4, 2015

So I really like cross hair Constellation watches. However, I'm noobie noob noob noobicuns (ha) so I really don't know a lot except what I've been reading here. But I don't know what I don't know (ya know?).

What are your thoughts on this one from eBay? Seem legit, complete, non frank/fake? Price good? Any advice welcome and appreciated!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Constellation-circa-1960-/381350608519?hash=item58ca447e87Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 4, 2015

Looks like a nice dome dial Constellation from the early 1960's. All original except the crown as per the listing. If you win, see if you can get that crown thrown in. That scalloped style is original to the watch. Why the seller replaced it, I don't know.

It's an auction item and likely will go higher. At the opening price, you will have done well. Worth a little, but not too much more in my opinion.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

JacksFailinLiver likes this.
  3. JacksFailinLiver Aug 4, 2015

Thanks for the reply! Although this kind of watch is probably entry level by most enthusiasts, it's a very nice watch by my standards. Of course that may change if I get bitten by the bug haha.

Back story, I got $1000 from my mom after selling her mother's home (gma had to go to a retirement home a few years back). That's not a ton of money,but still a generous gift since I didn't deserve anything. I decided I wanted something nice enough to keep my entire life to remind me off my grandma and worth handing down when I die. This watch or something similar will be it! :)

lando and lillatroll like this.
  4. calalum Aug 4, 2015

To me a better decision would be to stay away from the bay and shop on the sale board here. JMHO.

NT931, Jacquot and Spacefruit like this.
  5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 4, 2015

This looks like a really nice honest watch.
    -and there's nothing entry level about it either
    the Constellation is a fantastic watch and the 561 is a great movement

if you haven't already done so -spend some worthwhile hours reading Desmond's excellent web-site
    http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.co.uk

dome dials are not quite as collectable as pie-pans and so prices (whilst still not cheap) are not quite so high
    -which is good for those of us who prefer dome dials
    and having the cross hair on a dome dial is a really nice and not particularly common bonus

the case and lugs are polished and little rounded -but not overly so
    the medallion is in really nice condition -some wear commensurate with it 50+ years of age

the crown has been probably been replaced because there is the on-going debate about what is the correct crown for a Constellation.
    The new one looks like the slim version faceted crown -they aren't made anymore, so is either NOS (which a lot of Connie owners would like to get their hands on) or a modern facsimile -but it looks good to me.
    I thought the earlier cases had the wider crown but I may be mistaken?

I agree with Gatorcpa -ask for all of the original pieces including the crystal -its nice to retain the 'history' of the watch

I think the current price is pretty good -just compare it with others on US Ebay at the moment
    it's been relisted due to non-payment so try to search the previous sale price
    I'd be very surprised if it didn't go up quite a but before the sale ends

also-factor in a service $200-300

best of luck -if you do land it post some pics

and by the way -yes it is addictive !

JacksFailinLiver and Spacefruit like this.
  6. ConElPueblo Aug 5, 2015

That alone places you in a class of you own. Welcome!
    Watch looks ok, but I'd look at the sales forum on here as well.

7. JacksFailinLiver Aug 5, 2015

The seller said the crown he replaced was not original, so he never had it it sounds like

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 5, 2015

Nice solid and good looking Constellation there, if you like it I'd go for it.

9. vinn2 Aug 5, 2015

the watch looks good, and its only money. ebay, thats another story!

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 5, 2015

I disagree with the seller. But it really doesn't matter.
    gatorcpa

11. TNTwatch Aug 5, 2015

The watch was previously mine. The old crown is of correct style but a bit small so I had it changed to a new 10 sided one for the buyer along with the crystal. I also had the watch completely stripped down, cleaned and lubed at the same time. (All of these were unadvertised add-ons). The case has the rounded style like that and has not been polished much if at all as evident on the bezel, which is sharp. The whole watch looks actually much better in real life than in pictures.

JacksFailinLiver likes this.
  12. JacksFailinLiver Aug 5, 2015

Wow, that's great to hear! There goes any chance I don't at least bid on it. haha I'm a little surprised someone here was a previous owner.

It really is gorgeous IMO.

13. TNTwatch Aug 5, 2015

The current owner/seller is also a member here (albeit less active).

14. JacksFailinLiver Aug 5, 2015

Oh that makes more sense. Even though I'm new here, it does seem that the people here are somewhat a tight knit and respectable group so that makes me more comfortable buying a watch unseen on the internet.

15. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 5, 2015

I stand corrected on the case
    where did you find the crown?
    Philip

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 5, 2015

now that's what we call provenance!
    -and you don't have to factor in a service for a while....

you can bid on it with some confidence
    previously sold for $551
    -so make the current bid and then set your maximum price
    once again -best of luck
    Philip

NT931 likes this.
  17. TNTwatch Aug 5, 2015

The new crown was bought from an eBay seller in the Netherlands.

18. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 5, 2015

good catch

19. JacksFailinLiver Aug 5, 2015

I won! :)

NT931 and TNTwatch like this.
  20. Selbo Aug 5, 2015

Nice! I thought the photos for the listing could have been better but hey, that's to your benefit. This is going to look really nice when it shows up on your doorstep. Be sure to post some wrist shots when it comes in.