Forums Latest Members

Looking at a Vintage Constellation...do these hands look correct?

1. david_watch Jun 28, 2015

Saw this listed on the bay, looks interesting for the price but I'm a novice in regards to Omegas so figured I'd check in here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Const...488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a3ee5470Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I'm most curious about the white hands on this, to me they look somewhat out of place. Should they have correctly been silver or grey?

Thanks for reading,
    David

2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 28, 2015

the font is unusual in white -but looks pretty good to me -the photos aren't quite good enough to be sure
    pretty sure you are right to be worried about the hands
    hands should probably match the markers and look something like this

Screen Shot 2015-06-28 at 21.12.21.png

Desmond's site does show some later 751s with solid black hands -but with silver second sweep hand

Screen Shot 2015-06-28 at 21.21.13.png

Possibly a later service replacement set of hands on the eBay watch ? -but not right IMHO

Philip

3. david_watch Jun 29, 2015

Philip,

Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate your taking the time.

I must admit I never noticed the dial text was in white as well. I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing. Would that lead you to believe the dial was refinished with newer hands or just a odd reference with white font and hands? I see it comes with a genuine Omega strap and buckle, is this a big deal or not? I have no idea if it is correct to this time-period watch.

Basically what I'm looking to find is a '66 watch that is presentable that can be a semi daily work watch. I currently have 2 late 80s early 90s Tags that are my dailies but I'm looking to get something a little more vintage, preferably a 66 since I'm also a 66. An all SS with black dial would be perfect since my tags are mainly gold so it would be a nice switch.

My budget is around 500 - 700 give or take. Does this one look reasonable?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 29, 2015

White printing on any Constellation dial scares me. Not sure if these originally dials came in black. Post 1970 cal. 564 models had many odd colors on the dial ( I've seen blue, green and grey), but early cal. 561 "C" cases? Not so sure.

Pictures are so out of focus as to be virtually useless. Also, no movement shots, so you have no idea what is inside.

The buckle and band are OEM Omega replacements, so that's good. Box is a older Omega service box, I think.

Too much risk, not enough reward for me.
    gatorcpa

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 29, 2015

While almost anything is possible with Omega, this one doesn't pass muster. The white hands just don't go (they were probably painted because they had no access to the correct hands after painting the dial black), if you look at the hands on the watch from Desmond's blog, the base of the hands is silver, with black over. I don't recall ever seeing a legitimate black C case dial either and as noted white printing is a big red flag.

PASS at any price.

6. david_watch Jun 29, 2015

Thanks for the opinions and insight. I'm gonna pass on this one and keep looking.

Besides ebay, what other sources exist to find a reasonable vintage Omega?

7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 29, 2015

this forum sales section is a pretty good place to look
    also keep checking the auctions -national and international -it adds a bit of risk but also can offer real value for money
    however, eBay remains the largest source of possibilities

C-shape Connies and cal 751s of various styles are still excellent value for money -if they float your boat
    -just keep posting your potential buys up here to let the members give their opinion

note -i'm sure you will have read past posts -members like folks to do a bit of research to show willing
    -check out Desmond's website and cross check possible purchases with the Omega Database

good hunting!
    Philip

8. david_watch Jun 30, 2015

Thanks. I figured ebay would be the best place to look, especially since I'm not looking for a high-grade collector specimen but something I can not feel guilty about wearing everyday.