Forums Latest Auctions Members

Looking at a purchase (Constellation vs Seamaster) advice appreciated!

1. burlycoots

burlycoots Aug 14, 2018

This is my first post so I'd like to start by thanking anyone who is willing to contribute their knowledge.
    Anyway, to the good stuff--I'm looking at my first purchase and have narrowed it down to two choices: a vintage Seamaster or a Constellation. Here are the candidates:
    Constellation: https://www.chrono24.com/omega/constellation--id8462637.htm
    Seamaster: https://www.chrono24.com/omega/166010--id7696739.htm

I did read the series of PDFs that were produced describing the Constellation dials; the candidate posted at least appears to pass the MOY test (from what my untrained eye an discern). I'd be happy with either one as I expect to wear whatever I get daily, but gently.

So my questions are, do either of these watches appear to be misrepresented? They state to be original, but the magnifier over the date on the Seamaster gives me pause. I don't need a daily wear watch to be museum quality, but I'd prefer to purchase something that hasn't been remade, repolished, or otherwise molested. Additionally, is there a better place to purchase? I've tried going to local jewelers, but in my market (central Ohio) all I've found is ragged out junk and I'm pretty specific on the overall style, vintage, etc. I looked at the forums here, but I must admit it's kind of hard to search. If there is anything comparable within the private sales that anyone would like to promote, I'm totally happy to purchase from a private seller.

Thanks!

2. ConElPueblo

ConElPueblo Aug 14, 2018

I would say that both have been polished and are to the slightly expensive side; none of this is unexpected when looking at dealers' watches.

lingonsylt and Noddyman like this.
  3. optsdan

optsdan Aug 14, 2018

You’re in a similar boat to what I was a month ago. Chrono24 watches tend to be a little more expensive and aimed at a market who appreciate a clean watch rather than a nice piece of history.

You have to decide for yourself your motivation for buying. For me I wanted a vintage piece and therefore wanted minimal polishing to keep the watch in its original guise.

Read the guides stickied here, they help you spot a good watch. I found the research was half of the fun when finding a watch. Some great deals pop here on these forums, so keep your eyes peeled.

Dan S likes this.
  4. Dan S

Dan S Aug 14, 2018

In my personal opinion, the Seamaster doesn't look too bad if you want something right now and don't mind paying the premium price. I'm not crazy about the case on the Constellation.

BTW, there's not much point in actually using the search function in the Private Sales forum, you can pretty much just browse the first couple of pages. Anything farther down the list is probably either sold or obsolete since active sellers "bump" their listings. With vintage watches you can't just assume that the watch you want to buy will immediately be for sale at a fair price; you need to develop a patient hunter's mentality.

connieseamaster and ConElPueblo like this.
  5. optsdan

optsdan Aug 14, 2018

Also, other members have been a great help. My advice? Do some of your own research into the watches you like and post it here. That way you learn about the watch you are buying. From there, tap into the abundance of knowledge around here to validate your opinions and add a more informed perspective!

6. burlycoots

burlycoots Aug 14, 2018

Thanks for all the advice; I'm looking at dealer sales because, well, not sure where else to look :(

I'm not going to get too terribly fussy about finding the PERFECT watch, I've already spent many months going from not knowing anything at all to looking over many watchmakers and finding some other choices. I looked at Grand Seikos and even some oddballs along the way before I got to Omega. I like the clean simple presentation, lack of bling, and relatively wide body of knowledge when it comes to maintenance. If the case is a little worn, I'm not going to get upset; I'm looking at watches that are getting on 50+ years old, so you get what you ask for! I'd rather not get something that is all ragged out and a mess; I appreciate vintage, but within reason! I realize a patina'd dial is appreciated by some, but I'd prefer that the dial is reasonably clean and free of spotting. Again, perfection is not reasonable, but I'd like it to look nice.
    My original qualifications were, 60s vintage, SS case, white or black face, date but not day, thin(ish), no pie pans and as original as possible. That's what led me to Omega Seamasters, Geneves, and Constellations. I'm 99% certain that nobody I know will know or care what I'm wearing, this is just for me.

As for digging around in the private sales, I found a member NoMercy selling this Seamaster: https://omegaforums.net/threads/1959-omega-seamaster-ref-14744-2-sc-serviced.79655/

Looks pretty clean and presents well. I like the idea of buying from someone who has a passion for a specific brand; Chron24 sellers tend to dabble in a lot of everything it seems.

Thanks for the assistance!

7. optsdan

optsdan Aug 14, 2018

Check out my thread, it’s on my profile. Lots of good advice in it.

8. optsdan

optsdan Aug 14, 2018

Nomercy’s watch is indeed a nice one. It’s one I looked at but wasn’t quite right for me.

Seamasters and Constellations come in many styles. Write a list of all the features you want and work out what you’d be willing to compromise on.

Gold / st steel? Hand type? Dial detail? Dial colour? Lug type? Date? Automatic / manual wind?

9. burlycoots

burlycoots Aug 14, 2018

I'm pretty clear on what I want: SS case, SS markings/hands, dial in black or cream, automatic, baguette dial markings, day (not date), hands/lugs are open based on other matches. NoMercy's Seamaster may just be the right one; it's rather good and ticks all the boxes that I am interested in. I mean the strap isn't my cup of tea, but that's not a concern.

10. Dan S

Dan S Aug 14, 2018

I'll just point out one more feature that jumped out at me in the two original watches you posted - the shape of the case. In particular, the Constellation you posted has a c-shape case, which is loved by some, but is a less "classic" design and screams 1970s to me (also late 1960s). Notice that the shape is completely different and decide if you like it or not.

11. burlycoots

burlycoots Aug 14, 2018

I will admit, the Seamaster case is more appealing than the Constellation case. I do like them both quite a lot, but the Seamaster a bit more. I agree on the shape being indicative of the 70s; something about the chunky nature of how the face flows into the case. The 60s have an aesthetic that I appreciate; the trim thin nature seems to be in line with much of the clothes and furnishings of the era. I have a bit of a problem with 60s vintage furniture so that I am looking tends to go with the style I prefer. Come to my house and cringe at my Heywood Wakefield butterfly dining set and my period Zenith console stereo. Don't forget all of my refinished bedroom sets for myself and my sons. Maybe I have a problem.

Dan S likes this.
  12. Dan S

Dan S Aug 14, 2018

I'm honestly not judging your taste. I'm not a huge fan of c-shape cases, but I sincerely respect the fact that tastes vary. Mostly I wanted to make sure you were noticing the shape of the case and distinguishing differences.

Edited Aug 14, 2018
  13. burlycoots

burlycoots Aug 14, 2018

No problem, I am totally seeking opinions here, your input is 100% valid. By making me type out what I'm thinking has helped clarify what I'm more interested in, so it all works out!

14. paulwatch001

paulwatch001 Aug 14, 2018

I couldn’t live with the bubbling/oxidising on the Seamaster dial, especially at that price. Watches in far better condition regularly appear on this sales forum. You seem to have a good idea of what you want. My advice would be to keep looking, and you will find a much better example.
    Enjoy the hunt!

Dan S and Noddyman like this.
  15. Noddyman

Noddyman Aug 14, 2018

I agree, this stood out for me to and the fact that both cases are polished/prepared for sale.

paulwatch001 likes this.
  16. kkt

kkt Aug 14, 2018

watchrecon.com is a useful way of searching a bunch of private watch sales listings at once.

17. burlycoots

burlycoots Aug 14, 2018

Thanks for the lead, that's pretty cool. Will definitely explore the listings!

18. michael22

michael22 Aug 14, 2018

At this stage, I think you should buy nomercy's watch. (edit: consider it strongly. "buy" is too strong a statement)
    It looks great & is well priced.
    You seem ready to buy.

You could spend a year looking for a better target at that price.

Being "ready to buy" doesn't sit well with the "take your time" advice. I know from experience.

19. Dan S

Dan S Aug 14, 2018

Perfectly captures the necessary vintage watch hunter's mentality. Be patient ... and then pounce.

20. kaisiang098

kaisiang098 Aug 15, 2018

If that's the case you can go check out the 60s or late 50s constellations ref 14393, 14381, 14900, 167.005 just to name a few.
    Like what the others mentioned, take your time find something you like, if you're unsure of anything just ask the good people here.