Forums Latest Members

Looking at a beautiful manual wind watch, help verifying details please :)

1. -TAL- Aug 6, 2014

Hi all,

I'm new here but have been lurking for a while now. Was browsing the local classifieds and had something interesting pop up for a good price but wanted to make sure I wasn't getting myself into a frankenwatch so hopefully some of you guru's can help me with this.

The info I have been given on it:

1960 Omega - Model: quarter century
    Manual wind
    Serial from inside of backing 14713-1 - when I search (14713) this on the DB it shows a similar watch although my dial is different (has numbers and the quarter century writing) http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database?ref=14669
    Movement caliber 286, 17jwl, #17148266

What do you guys think? Really appreciate your thoughts. Going to see it tomorrow evening.

omega14713dial.JPG omega14713backing.JPG omega14713movement.JPG
  2. -TAL- Aug 6, 2014

no love? :)

3. Interstatetime Aug 6, 2014

It looks right to me except (probably) for the crown. Probably one reason you are not getting any "love" is that not many people go for gold filled or plated watches these days. Stainless is a much better investment. This is a great movement...I love these circa 1960 manual winds...just not the GF.

JohnCote

-TAL- likes this.
  4. -TAL- Aug 6, 2014

Great, thanks! What makes the stainless more desirable?

5. Interstatetime Aug 6, 2014

I do not speak for everybody and there are certainly people who like GF. However, most people don't like GF because when it wears through it looks bad...and it will wear though if it hasn't already and stainless is just plain in fashion right now. As a guy who buys and sells a lot of watches, I just stay away from GF wrist watches unless they are perfect and or really cheap.

JohnCote

hoipolloi likes this.
  6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 6, 2014

Yes and looks like that one has some worn thru spots at the lugs

7. -TAL- Aug 6, 2014

Good buy for <$300?

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 6, 2014

Decent buy, not great. Not sure what's up with the "Quarter Century" on the dial.

Maybe a presentation of some sort? Omega did make a Century model in the early 1960's, but this one is a little older.

gatorcpa

9. Interstatetime Aug 7, 2014

I think that @ $300 it is probably an ok buy but remember that getting it cleaned will cost you a lot of money unless you know somebody and then you will end up with a lot of money in the watch. Buying watches is a difficult endeavor. Really....you just have to go with your instinct and be ok with making a mistake now and again....and learn not to make the mistake again.

JohnCote

10. -TAL- Aug 7, 2014

So after doing some more digging, the watch back is also engraved and seems it was given to an employee for 25 years of service which would explain the quarter century on the dial.

Thanks everyone for the help here it's really appreciated.

11. 124watchfan Aug 7, 2014

Engraving on back and plated are double negatives. overpriced at $300, a decent deal at $200. for not much more you could get a much cleaner example.

12. -TAL- Aug 7, 2014

So after checking it out in person, I decided to go ahead. Got it for a good amount less than I originally thought and overall happy with it! Besides a few small scratches on the crystal and some patina on the dial it's flawless! No rub through on the gold at all!

The movement also looks spotless and owner claims it was recently serviced.

Look forward to learning more and being around here more often :)

Northernman likes this.
  13. Hotwheelbill Aug 8, 2014

I like it and at a good price, wear it with no worries.

14. Interstatetime Aug 8, 2014

You did the right thing. Congrats

JohnCote