Forums Latest Members
  1. Andsan Apr 6, 2015

How much do you think a repainted dial decreases in value compared with an original painting.
    My watchmaker want to repaint my watch, which he injured during servicing.
    Should I leave it as is, or should I repaint it.
    The watchmaker has offered to reimburse the service cost and he would pay the repainting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

Best regards

Anders

2. bristnj Apr 6, 2015

An original dial is always more attractive than a repainted. Is he talking about only repairing the small nick shown? OR repainting the whole dial? I think I would leave as is.

3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 6, 2015

My dad's 1960 Croton Aquamatic had the dial scratched in a similar way. He has since refused any offer to have it refinished.

I'm not familiar with that brand, is it newish or vintage? If it's new-ish, I would see about sourcing a new dial.

Tom

4. chickenman26 Apr 6, 2015

I don't know anything about that beautiful watch (e.g. are parts available), but I know a lot about acting in haste and repenting at leisure. You can refinish it as often as you like, but it's only original once. And from what I see of the more knowledgeable folks on this forum, even a good redial can be spotted a mile away.

5. Andsan Apr 6, 2015

It´s from about 1950

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2015

I'd leave it, or if you find it bothers you I'd consider selling it and buying something else. I know that later part sounds extreme but something like that you can find yourself noticing over and over on the watch because you saw it before it was there, the next owner won't notice it in the same way and will just see it in the scope of the watch's overall condition. That's why occasionally when I've had a watch that was damaged or had something wrong that I noticed constantly I sold it to someone else with a different perspective.

Its also why I tend to prefer used watches as a SS Daytona that was brand new with 1 scratch I put on it would bother me, while a used SS Daytona with 50 scratches that were already there doesn't bother me at all

tamura, watchme, bristnj and 4 others like this.
  7. chickenman26 Apr 6, 2015

In that case, I'd leave it alone.

timeismoney likes this.
  8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 6, 2015

I suspect he is suggesting a "repair" not a redial or refinish.

It all depends on the skill of the person doing the repair.

You need to know more precisely what he is offering to do.

The dial is the heart of the value. If that is damaged so is the entire value.

9. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 6, 2015

Hi Anders.
    I would definitely leave it.
    It is very minor and not visible except with magnification as far as I can see.
    I assume the watchmaker is not sending any invoices for the job altogether?!
    A redial would be a shame on a nice and original dial like that.
    A huge shame it went like that but life is full of dangers.
    :oops:

10. Drawarms Apr 6, 2015

If he damaged it, how do you know he won't do a worse job? however, either way, id leave it the way it is! don't repaint it!

11. Hijak Apr 6, 2015

I have to go with leave it alone also. The chances of further damage, no matter how skilled the repairer, is just too great. Beautiful watch by the way, love it!::love:: (Even with the scratch)

12. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 6, 2015

I know I could live with your beautiful watch and that little scratch. However I have no way of knowing if I could live with your watch after an unknown "repair". Once it's "repaired" there's no going back.

Now if you can't live with it, then do as Dsio suggests.

Edited Apr 6, 2015
  13. Andsan Apr 6, 2015

Hi

You reason like that I think about it. I can not have it anymore when the damage bothers me so much.
    I'll try to find something else to console myself with;)

Best

Anders

Edited by a mod Apr 6, 2015
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 6, 2015

Well, glad to see no one is suggesting you assault the watchmaker physically like they have on another forum where you posted this...:eek:

Although very unfortunate, the mark appears to be very small in real life, and I think any attempt to repair it will just be doing further damage and make it more visible. Certainly a complete refinish would not be advised as others here have stated. I would take his offer of no charge for the service, and know that he probably feels sick about this - maybe more than you do.

No one is perfect, and if you service enough watches, despite the best precautions, sometimes things happen. Sometimes you get lucky and no visible damage is done when something slips, but sometimes not.

Cheers, Al

Impondering, Mitka, lando and 4 others like this.
  15. Andsan Apr 6, 2015

Hi
    The watchmaker was not dishonest who first denied that he caused the damage and that was when I presented photographic evidence which he admitted that he damaged the watch. I think this is bad behavior of a watchmaker, sure everyone can make mistakes, but you should assume their responsibilities immediately.
    Best

Anders

16. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 6, 2015

For sure I would not let him touch this or any watch of mine again!
    Totally agree with Al: "Stuff happens"! Just man-up and do the right thing.

17. Andsan Apr 6, 2015

Archer said:
    Well, glad to see no one is suggesting you assault the watchmaker physically like they have on another forum where you posted this...:eek:

I am not a man of violence ;)

/Anders

18. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2015

Another one of the reasons why so many of us prefer it here !

19. marturx Apr 6, 2015

I have seen you write about this misfortune of yours on 4 different watch forums by now. I'm curious to hear more about why you make such fuzz about it, in so many places? Make a fair deal with the watchmaker and lay it behind you.

Watchmakers make errors like every other human being, and myself I wouldn't dream of challenging my watchmaker in the way you do. OK, I have worked with my watchmaker for nine years now, so maybe it's special, but I do think that everyone interested in vintage watches should have a longterm relationship with a skilled watchmaker, and stick to him, not only when it goes well, but also when shit happens

20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2015

Leave it! It is much less noticeable in real life than when you see it in your head. A refinish will be much more noticeable.