Forums Latest Members

Look what came in the mail today from Omega

1. repoman Jul 31, 2014

No apologies, this is a brag post ::psy::
    Anybody else on the forum invited to this event? I'm not entirely sure how this works, I suspect there is a set number of guests, probably all from the same geography (Southern California in my case). For anyone that has done this trip, I would be all ears on your experience, and how I get the most out of the experience! I'm bringing my youngest son with me, he's geeked ::jumpy::

OmegaInvite.jpg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 31, 2014

I don't know what you did to warrant the trip, but congratulations are in order!

I did the VIP tour of the Space Center many years ago, long before I started my collection. Not sure if your tour will be strictly guided, or more like what I did which was more of an open house. We went from building to building at our leisure. No cameras allowed for most places. I remember seeing the International Space Station being built and also seeing some of the training facilities for the Astronauts.

Several current and former Astronauts (Space Shuttle was still active then) were around to sign autographs and answer questions.

I'm surprised they're not flying you directly to Ellington AFB, on the back end of the Space Center. That's where the "Vomit Comet" used for weightless flight training is located. That's a trip in and of itself from IAH.

But I guess all the 1st Class hotels are up in the city.
    gatorcpa

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 31, 2014

Photo of repo receiving invite

rsz_o-hugh-hefner-crystal-harris-facebook.jpg

4. CdnWatchDoc Jul 31, 2014

hand delivered...

MikiJ likes this.
  5. repoman Jul 31, 2014

That's awesome! The official description of Hef's facial expression here is "S**t eating grin". :D

As for how I scored this invite, well, buy lots of watches ::money:: (I'm most certainly paying for this trip,if you know what I mean).
    Actually, I think another key factor is the local AD could see I am a Speedmaster nut, a space nut, and I think they could see how much I would truly enjoy and appreciate this experience. At least, I don't think any of that hurt.

opticalserenity and Spy like this.
  6. CdnWatchDoc Jul 31, 2014

Hmm...maybe giving that gift to the AD reps paid off! Sounds like an exciting trip-take lots of pics to share with us here!

repoman likes this.
  7. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 1, 2014

For sure...She's winding more than Hef's watch ;-)

opticalserenity likes this.
  8. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Aug 1, 2014

Congrats!

The St. Regis is outstanding & the Space Center is a place that geeks and non-geeks will get excited about.

Oh and if you get a chance....go have a drink at Poolside at The Hotel ZaZA......incredible!

repoman likes this.
  9. nima0071 Aug 1, 2014

i already went to that is cool you will have fun.. the space center is very cool. take your DSLR with you. and the Dinner at the museum is the best

10. nima0071 Aug 1, 2014

11. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Aug 1, 2014

Just seen the letter and im impressed, but on seeing the first part of your name im guessing your last name is Kennedy. I bet this sort of thing happens to you all the time.

12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 1, 2014

Hey repo,
    If you haven't decided on who to take, I could clear my schedule those days !

13. deerworrier Aug 4, 2014

as an adult I generally shy away from envy and hatred for a fellow human being but you sir have just started a list all of your own :)

I jest obviously, hope you have a great time and look forward to the full story after.

I have just posted a box of chocolates to the ladies at my AD:D

watchme likes this.
  14. repoman Aug 4, 2014

Sorry Buck, I've already invited my youngest son to go with me, otherwise I would ask dsio to put up an auction on the forum and it could go to the highest bidder and we split the profits ::money:: ::beer:: :D

deer - its ok to hate me, it was cruel to post this thread. The back story is that I knew Omega had these client trips from time to time, but I had no idea how to weasel my way into one. I don't think I'm anywhere near a top customer by total spend, so I didn't think that would be my path. I am a huge Omega fan, and definitely a Speedmaster and space fanatic, which certainly was apparent to the staff in the boutique. I brought my buddy into the AD a few weeks ago and he ended buying a Planet Ocean (which didn't hurt my "cred" with the AD). And then, I made my largest watch purchase two weeks ago (45th Apollo XI Speedy w/ titanium bracelet, and a TinTin Speedy as a package deal), and it was during the final stages of closing this deal they asked if I would like to go on this trip.... I didn't bring it up, but my hand extended forward to shake on that deal 1 millisecond after it was offered. ::psy::

15. opticalserenity Aug 29, 2014

That's incredible. Please, please, please take many pictures with a good dSLR (Nikon, Canon, etc.) and don't forget a speedlight for the camera.

We are waiting! ::popcorn::

16. nima0071 Aug 29, 2014

when you go say hi to Roland for me he is a great and funny guy.

17. monet_briard Aug 29, 2014

Lucky you!!
    I do imagine inviting european people (and paying the travel) is not so common.