Forums Latest Members

Look of Hirsch Curved End Band on SMP Coax

1. fskywalker Sep 14, 2014

Hi folks, recently bought my SMP mid coax, which came with its standard SS bracelet:

photo 5a.jpg

I also bought for it a new Hirsch 18/16 mm curved end light brown leather band, along with an used Omega 94521603 deployant to go with it. Today decided to give it a try and here are some pictures:

photo 3(14).JPG

photo 4(11).JPG

View attachment 75204

photo 2(17).JPG

photo 1(17).JPG

I will wear it a few days so that the band breaks in and takes the shape of my wrist as it should. Opinions on its look are welcome!

Regards,

Francisco

blufinz52 likes this.
  2. chickenman26 Sep 14, 2014

It surprised me, Francisco. That brown strap looks a lot better on the blue watch than I thought it would. Have you noticed the watch looks smaller on your wrist than when it wore the bracelet?

Stu

3. fskywalker Sep 14, 2014

Hi Stu, think the size difference is mostly due to close up on the leather versus ss bracelet picture. I think did a bad selection on the color; also don't like too much the bump it has on the lugs section, before it goes towards the ends. Seems like it is more visible on the mid size that on the full size, based on the pictures have seen so far for the Hirsh Medici. I had a blue Alfa leather band on the 2551.80 which came with the used watch. Here are both for comparisson:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I wonder if an Omega curved band would provide a better fit. (ike the one below):

curved 1.jpg

Curved 2.jpg

Regards,

Francisco

4. chickenman26 Sep 14, 2014

Can't view the Omega images for some reason, but I will say your watch looks very nice on that blue Alfa strap. I looked at all the 18mm Omega straps on Otto Frei's and didn't see anything I liked. So I went with the Hirsch Principal. Same model as your brown strap, but dark blue with light blue stitching. You're correct about the bumps at the lugs from the leather getting bunched up. I like its looks, but I wouldn't buy another strap from Hirsch's Leonardo line (curved end pieces) for this watch. I think they might work better on a larger, thicker watch.

Stu

5. fskywalker Sep 14, 2014

Hi Stu, already fixed the pictures above. I sold the 2551.80 with the strap so no longer have it to try it on the coax. The Omega strap above is for sale at Ebay, I wonder if the fit, given the fact is Omega original, would be better with a less pronounced bump at the lugs. The SS bracelet will certainly go back in for a while and the brown Hirsch will go out for sale.

Regards,

Francisco

6. chickenman26 Sep 14, 2014

It's for a 39mm Speedmaster w/18mm lug width, so it should fit fine. Just for comparison with whatever your seller is asking, this strap sells new on ofrei for $172, plus around $25 for a buckle. That one looks like it's had a hard life. Google 3820.50.26, and you'll probably find a picture of this strap mounted on a Speedy.

Stu

7. fskywalker Sep 14, 2014

Thanks; yes already saw it on Otto. The bid starts at $50 and no one have bid yet, lets see how it goes.

Regards,

Francisco

8. fskywalker Sep 15, 2014

I manage to buy another used band, same model and color, but in like new condition:

C1.JPG

C2.JPG

Lets see how it looks when I get it!

9. fskywalker Sep 19, 2014

Hi Stu, here is the SMP with the new Omega Black leather strap:
    photo 3(17).JPG

photo 4(14).JPG

photo 5(14).JPG

Here are the 2 watch bands on the SMP side by side:

Comparacion.jpg

So which one you think looks better? I think the black goes better with the blue dial and the bumps of the OEM Omega bracelet looks less pronounced than the Hirsch band.

10. alam Sep 19, 2014

My vote goes for black! :thumbsup: I like the other strap, in fact I have a strap in very similar shade that I will fit on my white dial Breitling but IMO the tan/walnut color clashes w/the blue dial SMP….

11. chickenman26 Sep 21, 2014

Francisco,
    The black is definitely better than the brown. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or beer holder). Personally, I think the white stitching would go better with a black, white, or silver dial. But that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...

Stu

12. fskywalker Sep 21, 2014

Thanks Stu! For now, the black is a keeper, already installed on it the Omega deployant clasp. The Hirsch is listed on Ebay. I wonder if could paint / dye the white stitches to make them black ...... will check forums for ideas.

Regards,

Francisco

13. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Sep 21, 2014

Leave the white stitching alone it's a good contrast on the black strap. The double ridged straps are the best looking on a lot of sports Omegas.