Forums Latest Members

Look for one thing, find another

1. sheepdoll Feb 19, 2023

I found a textbook I thought I had lost from WOSTEP. Actually I thought there were two different books.
    IMG_3876.png

This was a big heavy tome lugged back from Swizerland. What make it interesting it was autographed by Derek Pratt.
    IMG_3878.png

Since Derek's name was not on the cover I thought this was a different book.

Wonder if Tony is still around. He was really nice to me. I was also able to buy some other books on Mechanical dolls from him that were duplicates in the WOSTEP archives. (but that is another story for another time.)

Completely unrelated and a non-sequitur. (because that is the way my mind works)

I also met an interesting local watchmaker this week. There are a bunch of consignment stores and thrift shops in a town nearby. I noticed one said watch repair on the window. So I decided to check it out. Got to talking with the kid. Said the family was third generation. That he was accepted into the next WOSTEP class. But that they were not currently factory certified and did not have a parts account.

There were a number of Rolexes in the cases for sale. Most of the cases for other brands looked well stocked as well. I am not sure they are selling much, but there was a 'Military' style watch with a canvas band that seemed to have a fair price. Another case had some average looking omegas with reasonable prices. Most of them looked redialed, It was when I mentioned that to the kid he wanted me to meet his father.

Spent an hour or so chatting with the father. Showed the photos on my phone of the mess of the Heuer and the tangled hairspring. My new watchmaking acquaintance said he had similar projects for his retirement. I suspect though that by the time he retires, he will no longer be interested in watches. Looked to be in his 40s or 50s and the kid in his 20s.

I do not think stores like this have much of an online presence. Such people like this do not have time for it. Like the Hardware store watchmaker I sometimes use, several people were looking for valuation and battery swaps. These places still depend on foot traffic, subletting from others to keep the overhead low.

The shop looked nice, and he was happy to show some of the stuff he had, most of what seemed to come from watchmaker estates. Probably a break from answering the same questions over and over.

Did say something interesting about the training. Wanted to know If I was familiar with a Florida retailer where he learned his trade (and probably his father before him.) Said most of the guys with the training did nothing but watch the other people work and critique them.

When I was little, this store sold Korean and WWII surplus. I still remember the smell of canvas and cosmoline. Seems to change operators. Often. Currently called Estate Consignment, with the usual neon signs in the window.

It was on returning home I found the 'lost.' book. And then the Val-23 hairspring turned up online when I got back from the AMICA meeting this evening.

EDIT: I guess one can not cut and paste photos from one thread to another before saving.

2. RevZMan123 Feb 20, 2023

I need to get a copy of the theory book. I keep putting it off for other tools and books. Thankfully they still print it, but it's not getting any cheaper.

My watchmaker is the same way, no online presence really but he is so busy he can turn away business. His dad is 60 he's early 50? His kid might be starting to learn but he's 14 so a big gap. Kinda what made me want to start.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 21, 2023

Just be aware that this is not a "how to" book. It is what it says it is - theory only.

sheepdoll likes this.
  4. RevZMan123 Feb 21, 2023

Certainly, and 1 of the 3 core exams to get AWCI certification.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 21, 2023

Is it only 3 now? Used to be 5 I think...

6. RevZMan123 Feb 21, 2023

3 core, 2 elective

bAScNZV[1].png
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 21, 2023

Case and bracelet, and water resistance were not in the original CW21 - everything else was mandatory.

RevZMan123 likes this.