Forums Latest Members
  1. g-rex Jan 7, 2017

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, but recently picked up my first vintage and thought it was time.

I recently picked up a circa ~1952 2577 Seamaster with 354 movement. It doesn't run. There aren't any funky noises other than the bumper moving around if I give it a shake. I got it relatively cheap with the intention of taking it apart and fixing it myself, but I realized I wouldn't know if something was broken, and that this may not be the best one to 'learn' on. The dial is also kinda rough. Can they be restored or is it a replace deal? It looks like Archer may be the guy to talk to if he accepts watches from the US. Alternatively, if anybody has any recommendations in the Philly area, I'm all ears. I could do NYC too.

I'm smart enough to know what I don't know, so I think I'm better off to defer to an expert.

And since all threads are worthless without pics, they are included.

The rest of my collection to date consists of Citizen Eco-Drive, Rolex Datejust, and an Omega 2535.80 Seamaster GMT.

Thanks all!

1483801079544-930072975.jpg 148380126136225379627.jpg
    Edited Jan 7, 2017
    Vitezi likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 7, 2017

From your photos, I can't tell how much is the dial and how much is the crystal. Do us a favor and take some close up, hi-res photos, so we can tell what you have. I would do a board search for watchmakers in your area. I know there are several. Please don't send it to Omega.

3. g-rex Jan 7, 2017

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not about to send it to Omega. I definitely know better than that. Most of it is the dial. The crystal has some the usual scratches/wear and tear, but that's about it.

Those pics were with my phone. I'll break out the DSLR and get some better shots.

efauser likes this.
  4. ConElPueblo Jan 7, 2017

That's a bloody lovely cal. 354 Seamaster Chronometer you have there! A shame that the dial has degraded to such an extent, but that happens. I'm afraid there's really no service available that can restore it without ruining value or "feel" and as to replacements... That just won't happen.

5. g-rex Jan 7, 2017

Oops typo. I new it was a 354, just got fat fingered typing I guess. Bummer about the dial. I do like the style of it, just wish it were in better shape.

6. g-rex Jan 7, 2017

Here's a better photo of the dial. I popped the movement out of the case for a better look.

20170107_121525.jpg
    Vitezi likes this.
  7. ConElPueblo Jan 7, 2017

If that dial was in good condition, you'd have a really attractive and sought after watch. It's still very nice, IMO, and should you wish to move it on, I'd guess it wouldn't be that difficult :)