Forums Latest Members
  1. alisa dean Aug 23, 2014

I am wondering if anyone knows how to get the value of my Longines watch? It is a mans stainless and gold plated band. It gives the date but the days of the week are in Italian. It is in descent condition.
    thanks.

2. Hijak Aug 23, 2014

The quantity and quality of the responses you will get here are exactly proportional to the quantity and quality of the photos of your watch you post here!::popcorn::

DLT222, Stewart H and Mothra like this.
  3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 23, 2014

It's worth dollars. Dollars are greenish and rectangular, with a man's picture on one side. There is a number in the corner, and there is writing in english.

DLT222, JohnSteed, Stewart H and 6 others like this.
  4. speedbird Aug 23, 2014

Or it could be worth pounds. Pounds are rectangular with colors. They have a picture of an old lady on them

DLT222, JohnSteed and Mothra like this.
  5. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 23, 2014

All in good fettle this afternoon guys :D :thumbsup:

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 23, 2014

As the condition is apparently descending, I'd sell it ASAP.

7. ulackfocus Aug 24, 2014

I have a Ford car. It's got 4 wheels and is green. It starts but blows a little smoke. It's in decent condition. What's it's value?

Saarmaster, JohnSteed and Nitzbar like this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 24, 2014

Or it could be worth Euros. These are different sizes and colors with numbers and bridges on them. Some have funny looking letters, too.

Longines has probably made over 10,000 different models in its long history. Really no way to know anything without pictures.
    gatocpa

JohnSteed likes this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2014

Well, based on the responses so far, I suspect the OP has moved on to WUS or somewhere else (but I can't blame you for responding the way you have, you can only take so many of these queries before you blow).

This raises something I've thought about and would like to put forward.

We get so many requests like "my uncle gave me this watch, how much can I sell it for?", often with no pics or any other information.

Would it help to have a section titled "Help Identify and Value My Watch", placed with Open Discussion etc.

The top sticky could be a guide,e.g.: no pics, no help. (Similar to the Sales Forum).

A simple guide to the minimum requirements needed to allow us to give an opinion would benefit the OP as well as those of us who would be inclined to reply.

We may have a lot of one time posters using this facility, but probably no more than we get now.

If it worked the way it should, we would benefit by being able to share our knowledge effectively, and some of the noobies may even stick around.

Cheers

Jim

JohnSteed, NT931, Stewart H and 2 others like this.
  10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 24, 2014

Spot on, Jim!

A guide for nOObies, or even a separate sub-forum for posters of 5 (10?) or less, would allow a more gracious entry into this basically grand, supremely helpful and informative source.

While it hasn't been that long ago, I was blessed with an extremely kind an informative moderator that helped me with my first posts.

I am ashamed to admit it, but once or twice I have failed to show the same gentlemanly qualities to a new poster and I vow never to let it happen again!

Sometimes new posters must be taken aback by our banter and our occasional lack of patience.

Thanks for bringing something to the forefront that has been on my mind for some time.

(I checked to make sure I hadn't made a joke to Alissa before posting this)

JohnSteed likes this.
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 24, 2014

I'm actually dead-set against that idea. And here's why...

You can put a "noobie" limit on inquiries and a member can simply set up a new profile and start over with more inquiries. I can tell you that one too many times have I gone out of my way to help identify "Grampa's prized Omega", only to see it turn up on eBay a couple of days later. No matter how nice we try to be, someone will take advantage and use us as an appraisal service for their watch business.

With respect to the original poster, one has to suspect that someone who would really want the correct information would have enough common sense to realize that without decent pictures, even the most learned horological scholar can't identify a phantom watch.

I consider myself a cynical optimist. Maybe I should use that as my tag to find posts?
    gatorcpa

12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 24, 2014

Good insight. May I add that a cynical optimist is the best outlook! Much better than the convinced pessimist!
    I guess my point is that I find myself, even after a short time, prejudging and treating posts with a familiarity that may be misunderstood on the other side.
    I have received and witnessed and also given responses that can be misconstrued and possibly besmirch the spirit of this forum. (see my pm)
    I took Jim's comments to address the uninitiated and even if his (our) help is hijacked, sowing good seeds will bear fruit. (sorry, it's rum night)

13. Nitzbar Will sell any watch tougher than him. Aug 24, 2014

I find threads like this very entertaining. And I am a Noob. Yeah there is a fear of castration for saying something that might be viewed as unintelligent. But that's going to happen anywhere when there is a vast wealth of knowledge and experience like there is on this forum. And if it helps, I have seen many threads where all you fine gentlemen were very helpful. Some people just ask for it.....::facepalm1::

14. Mothra Aug 25, 2014

:) I discussed this thread with my wife last night. She thought we were being mean, but I asked how hard is it to spend a couple of minutes looking at posts in the forum to see how it all works. What's undefinable is the pervasive banter on the site. If the OP can't take the posts above in the spirit that they are intended then they are unlikely to enrich the site in the way Buck and Jim have....

While Jim's idea of a sub forum has merit, posters who provide meaningful photos and details ALWAYS get valuable responses from the senior watch ninjas.

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 25, 2014

I admit that my first thought response was along identical themes as I was getting a bit jaded with the number of FIFO posters.

Seen once, never again, and often without the good grace to say thanks.

But then I thought, why not make it more of a chore for them (get good pics, find the numbers, research some information) and they might start to get the idea and feel of what we are all about.

I can see @gatorcpa's point, and I'm sure many of us have felt the same way at times, especially with experiences like he's had.

We will still get the opportunists, some with all of the requirements and good stories that make us want to assist and there will be others who appreciate what we do and hang around.

At the very least, if we have a playpen for this function, those of us who have lost patience with FIFOs can avoid it if they wish, or even drop in there for some wry smiles.

And at best, it wouldn't be cluttering up the more serious forums (we have them?????) with uneducated diversions.

I welcome further feedback and won't be offended or hurt if the majority of responses are in the Nay, Nix, Nyet, OverMyDeadBody etc.

After all, we are our own little democracy aren't we.

16. Hijak Aug 25, 2014

I was not trying to be mean with my first post. I was however trying to get a point across with some humor and the hope of getting the OP to post some clear photos of their watch which would have then received very different responses!

17. ulackfocus Aug 25, 2014

First off, there's nothing wrong with a little "tough love" when stupidity occurs. The best way to learn a lesson is the hard way. Second, how much common sense does it take to realize that pictures are necessary? Where on Earth can you have anything appraised sight unseen? Lastly, creating a sub forum for inquiries from n00bs doesn't guarantee they'll post there anyway. Plus it would just give the experienced people one place NOT to visit because we're tired of the insufficient (in most cases severely lacking) information given by the n00b 97% of the time. Call me jaded, but after seeing this kind of idiocy literally hundreds of times it gets really old.

18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 25, 2014

true. They will probably just continue to post in the Recommended Vintage Omega thread. ::facepalm2::

JimInOz, ulackfocus and UncleBuck like this.
  19. ulackfocus Aug 25, 2014

NotAgain!.jpg

squirrel-facepalm.jpg

JimInOz, Alpha and bieb1 like this.
  20. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 25, 2014

I know I've said it before, but it pisses me off that they treat us like a search engine. There is little, or no, introduction other than "This bloke was shagging my mum and gave me this priceless Omega." There isn't even a "please" can anybody help me value/verify it. It is always, "I need" or "I want". Whatever happened to courtesy?

I do realise that, for many, English is not their first language but even Google Translate must be able to convert a simple courteous phrase.

DLT222 likes this.