Forums Latest Members
  1. valkyrie_rider Dec 4, 2018

Gentlemen

I'm getting started in the whole vintage watch collecting thing and got really surprised by how cool are some vintage Longines (from 50s to 60s), before the quartz crisis.

I got one question though: unlike Omega, Longines no longer develops and manufactures their own calibers.

And also unlike Omega that still provides parts for repairs (e.g. speedmasters generally can be repaired), most of their calibers were long discontinued.

This brings the question: is it inherently harder to repair/service vintage Longines movements than, say, Omegas?

I'm curious to hear what have being the experience of forum members on the subject.

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 4, 2018

I have three Longines Chronographs. None have been a problem. The oldest is 1918. 13.33z.

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 4, 2018

I am not a watchmaker, but I wouldn't worry about having vintage Longines repaired. There were a huge number produced, many of which circulate on the market. So, even if parts were tough to source from standard suppliers, donors can be found.

4. mancio Dec 4, 2018

Repair vintage watches is not a matter of if, it is more a matter of how much. Other than that (except for some extreme case) i don't see any problem.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 4, 2018

Yes. Essentially Swatch group is no help at all with regards to parts for vintage Longines, where for vintage Omegas they carry many parts for their vintage watches. I can still purchase (for now) every parts for a Cal. 550/560 series movement from Omega. The same is simply not true for Longines.

For Longines parts you would have to rely completely on the open market, and since these parts are no longer being made, the supply will dwindle over time as they get used up.

Relying on donor movements is one solution, but it's not a great one. Parts that tend to wear in a particular movement will dry up quickly., because even in the donors they will be worn.

This problem is not specific to Longines by the way, but you asked specifically about this brand as it compares to Omega, and for that the answer is crystal clear.

Cheers, Al

M'Bob, Tony C. and valkyrie_rider like this.
  6. valkyrie_rider Dec 4, 2018

@Al: thanks, really insightful feedback!

7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 4, 2018

If you buy a good clean watch and get it serviced properly it should last years, especially as collectors rarely wear the same watch as a full time working piece. If you're worried about parts, find them and stock them for your movement.

This approach has worked for me with vintage bikes for years. And I'm sure a few 12.68z parts movements takes up less space than a few bike engines

and wheels

and frames

and tanks

8. Rochete Dec 4, 2018

I've got quite a few vintage Longines and has never had any problem. But it is true that the supply of parts will dwindle with time.

I have a friend in Argentina who is a retired watchmaker and had a huge stock of vintage Longines (and other brands) parts. He was last year contacted by Longines HQ and a generous offer was made for all his Longines stock. He sold. It seems there is a policy (I don't know if only by Longines or the whole Swatch Group) to get hold of as many vintage parts as possible. Not difficult to imagine the consequences of such policy.

valkyrie_rider likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 4, 2018

No doubt how available parts are depends on the specifics of the movement. So the fact that finding parts has not been a problem for the specific movements you have, is not generally an indicator that there are no problems finding Longines parts.

One example I often give is the sealed mainspring barrels in some of the automatic movements of a specific period. Some companies that use sealed barrels (like Bulova for example) the barrels are easily opened, and the mainspring can be changed if you can find the right size, and the barrel can be used again. In some other brands (Longines and Zodiac come to mind) the barrels are far less amenable to opening them without damage due to how the barrel drum wall is crimped over the barrel cover. You risk destroying the drum when you open them, so as a watchmaker you have a choice to either leave the barrel sealed and use it again (not ideal) or find a new old stock replacement.

If for example you have a Cal. 431, then finding a NOS sealed barrel was not a problem at all the last 3 or 4 Ultrachrons I serviced. However in that same time frame I was asked to service a Cal. 341, and no sealed barrels could be found when I looked.

Cheers, Al

valkyrie_rider and Dan S like this.