Forums Latest Members
  1. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Mar 22, 2016

Hi guys,

I'm currently considering the below watch. I have handled the watch and think it is in great condition. The aging is even and consistent throughout. Pictures do not do it justice at all. However, once I got home and started looking at the pictures, I noticed that there seems to be a discrepancy with the lettering of the 4 numerals. The number 40 seems to be slightly darker than the other lettering and the 4 in 40 seems different to the 4 in 45 and the 4 hour marker. I cannot tell that it has been touched or repainted but it still looks different. The outer track seems unaffected and is consistent throughout. What do you guys think?

IMG_1351 - Copy.JPG IMG_1351.JPG IMG_1351 - Copy (2).JPG

I also noted to the seller that the second hand seems incorrect as I thought it should be blued but he noted that he thought it original. It seems the correct length. Any idea if this could be correct.

2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Mar 22, 2016

Nice 'Sei Tacche'. :thumbsup:

Interesting observation but the dial looks fine to me. I am confident that the seconds hand is a replacement though as it should at least match.

Do you know the caliber, serial number, or case reference number?

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 22, 2016

Dial looks fine.

4. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Mar 22, 2016

So no concern about the 40 text at all? To be honest I looked at the watch with a loop and didn't notice the text until I got home.
    I agree about the second hand. I have seen most with a matching blued hand with a small lollipop counter balance. A similar watch is in the FS section but with a sub second dial. The second hand of that watch has the hand I'm talking about.

Yeah, got that. Serial is a 6,8mil number dating it to 1945. Back stamped 22967 and matching 592 stamped on back and lug.

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 22, 2016

Is it possible that the 40 was touched up at some point? Yes, I suppose so. But Occam's Razor suggests to me that it probably wasn't.

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  6. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Mar 22, 2016

Accepted. Thank you both for the time in responding. I'm off to post in the WDULT thread about Occam's razor...

7. peatnick Mar 22, 2016

Dial looks right to me too, congrats on a nice pick up, mine says hi!

[​IMG]

Agree blue second hand and lollipop but otherwise looks good

8. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Mar 22, 2016

9. dx009 Mar 22, 2016

Maybe during the printing of the numbers it somehow came out as it did... There doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference between the 2 numbers....

10. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Apr 19, 2016

Hi guys,

Since posting I finally managed to land the watch. I picked it up this past weekend and had to wear it today (hence the incorrect size strap). I will probably look to find a two piece nylon strap for it. It's a great looking watch and although it's on the slightly smaller size it wears quite big due to it's thickness and my smaller wrists. Is that radium on the numbers? There are one or two loose pieces of something under the crystal and I will probably not wear it again until I can get it cleaned up. Pictures!!!
    IMG_2125 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

And finally a little family pic to show the size difference (yes, I stole the strap from my brother - both circa 1944)
    IMG_2076 - Copy.JPG

barmy, ahartfie, DirtyDozen12 and 2 others like this.
  11. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Apr 19, 2016

@peatnick what strap do you have on yours?

12. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Apr 19, 2016

If the luminous material is original (and it appears to be on the dial at least) then radium is indeed involved.

13. peatnick Apr 19, 2016

Just a brown alligator grain leather strap

[​IMG]

Have worn it on a solid color NATO as well

VanDamme likes this.