Forums Latest Members

Longines "Sei Tacche" 10.68Z Incoming

1. Mr.Cairo Jun 8, 2016

Hi guys,

My search for an affordable do-it-all everyday wearer culminated in my purchasing a (new) 39mm Longines Conquest 300m a while back. While I wasn't necessarily in love with the watch from pictures, it seemed to me the most practical choice at the moment. Since receiving the watch, however, I have fallen in love not only with it, but with Longines as a brand, and so I had to have a vintage Longines next.

My eye fell on the following model. I'm a sucker for these sort of military-style field watches, and despite noticing that the crown and crystal are aftermarket and the case has been heavily re-polished, I decided to take the plunge and make an offer. My offer accepted, the watch is now on its way to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is your opinion on the condition of the dial? Either very well preserved or (more likely) a redial, I thought, but I liked it so much and I think that if the dial is redone it is done satisfactorily well, that I went ahead and bought it anyway :)

[​IMG]

Oh, and I'm also new to this (sub)forum. Happy to be here.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

Giff2577 likes this.
  2. dodo44 Jun 8, 2016

I would try to change that crown, which looks out of place. It looks like a good quality vintage redial to me. One give away sign is the printing of the sunken sub-dial that is not centered. Wear it in good health!

Edited Jun 8, 2016
  3. Mr.Cairo Jun 8, 2016

Yea, noticed the unbalanced sub dial as well. The crown appears indeed much lighter in color than the rest. These are the seller pics, need to wait till it comes in and have a look at the thing myself. But I liked it too much to pass up. Reminds me a little of the (original) arctic explorer as well. Thanks!

4. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 8, 2016

Misaligned subdial printing is okay. However, the curved "4" is atypical and potentially worrying. Also, the spacing of the numbers in the subdial is quite inconsistent. I would need clearer photos (movement as well) to be certain. Here is another misaligned subdial for posterity.
    Capture.JPG

Edited Jun 8, 2016
    Mr.Cairo likes this.
  5. Mr.Cairo Jun 8, 2016

Cheers @DirtyDozen12. Once it arrives I'll post my own, more detailed photos.

Lovely "Special", by the way. Yours?

6. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 8, 2016

Unfortunately not.

7. Mr.Cairo Jun 8, 2016

Hadn't noticed that curved 4 yet, indeed. What do you make of these specimiens? Found with google:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Jun 8, 2016
  8. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 8, 2016

This one is interesting because the case is marked "MN" (Marine Nationale) and the usual "Fab. Suisse" is absent from the dial. This strongly suggests that the dial is not original to the watch.

As for the dial's originality, it is difficult to assess based on the small images available. The signature and minute track are well done. The white hands, however, are almost certainly an aftermarket job; they should be silver. Here is a grey/black dial example, from the same era, that I own.
    IMG_7770.JPG IMG_6729.JPG

Edited Jun 8, 2016
    PaulC77 and Syrte like this.
  9. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 8, 2016

Despite the wonky subdial, this looks original to me.

Edited Jun 8, 2016
    Gstp likes this.
  10. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 8, 2016

Here is another "Special" with a wonky subdial.
    Capture3.JPG

Edited Jun 8, 2016
    Mr.Cairo likes this.
  11. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 8, 2016

Mr.Cairo likes this.
  12. Mr.Cairo Jun 8, 2016

Very interesting! Many thanks for all this. Seems then that my 'sei tacche' could go either way then. Even more curious now for it to arrive. Cheers!

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  13. Mr.Cairo Jun 14, 2016

So it came in.. but unlike the advertised 32mm it turns out to be a 30mm version. I always figured 32mm to be the absolute minimum (though I have fairly small wrists, 6.5 inch). Now the big question: return or buy a bund and live with it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jun 14, 2016

Request a discount and rest easy both ways?

Darlinboy and Mr.Cairo like this.
  15. Mr.Cairo Jun 14, 2016

^Hadn't thought of that. Could work I suppose. But I already have my eyes on another vintage Longines, figured a bit of funds freed up would help... The complication is that I contacted the seller about this since yesterday morning (when I received the watch) and despite normally being fairly responsive, they have not responded anymore so far.

We'll see! I guess I could always sell it.

16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 14, 2016

What do you mean by "wonky"? Looks original to me....

17. Mr.Cairo Jun 14, 2016

I think he meant, original despite looking wonky

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  18. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 14, 2016

Agreed. I meant that the numerals are different sizes and not all aligned. Notice the 10 vs. the 20.

19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 14, 2016

P
    If you can return for a refund I would suggest you do. A 2mm difference in the diameter of a watch is a very highly significant one. You will end up finding others you prefer and may have a hard time reselling it because of its small size, and because it's a redial. Keep your ressources for something that makes you really happy and that's really what you were hoping for.

GBTRIUMPH, Darlinboy and Mr.Cairo like this.
  20. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 14, 2016

I am still not certain that it is a a redial however the smaller size, replacement crown, and polished case are not favourable.

ahsposo likes this.