Forums Latest Members
  1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 19, 2015

Greetings to all,

an initial interest in 1940s RAF issued watches brought me to like 1940s Longines watches more broadly.
    So I took an Ebay punt on this one -- the seller's photos were crummy but I could tell the movement was correct, and I knew I really liked the dial and handset, and the crown.
    I also figured from the radium burns on the dial that it had to be original, and not a crappy reprint, even though it was impossible to inspect it closely on the blurry pictures.

[​IMG]

From the stated size (32mm) and the blurry pics I surmise the movement must be a 12L center second (and therefore perhaps hacking) --although I haven't been able to confirm it in person as I do not have the watch yet.
    [​IMG]

The watch has now made its way to a US based friend who just sent me this picture. I suspect it will be a while before I can collect it in person, happy with it but curious if members here have any thoughts.
    As expected, the case doesn't look stainless and will definitely need some TLC.

[​IMG]

Best regards,
    S

Edited Oct 11, 2018
  2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 19, 2015

I'm sorry to say that the watch is still redialed and probably the seconds hand is replaced.

Movement, case, and crown are likely original. And yes, the case is likely chrome plated.

3. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Dec 19, 2015

Hey Sylvie, glad you found your way to this forum as well.
    While I commend your sleuthing efforts, Im not sure about the originality of this dial.
    Id have to vote redial, but have been known to be wrong on mor than a few occasions.
    Larry

Second hand is correct but missing tail.

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 19, 2015

Arrgh - thanks gents, live and learn they say? (at least it didn't cost much).
    But what makes you think it's a redial? is it the way "Longines" is printed? and how do you account for those radium burns? does one find such very old redials?

I also know the seconds hand is missing its counter poise. I figured I didn't really mind because again 1/ I would enjoy wearing the watch 2/ since I suspected the case was not steel I figured the parts are almost worth more than the whole.... the hour and minute hands are virtually impossible to find as replacements. If now the dial is a redial, that's even more true.

Edited Dec 19, 2015
  5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 19, 2015

Ok - I was too quick to judge, there. Yeah, the seconds hand is correct, if Larry says it is. Just the tail is missing, is all.

6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 19, 2015

1.The printing is too dark, thick, and inky. 2. The Longines script is wrong, yes. 3. The lume is green, which is not what it would have been originally.

Yes, this was likely an older redial.

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 19, 2015

Thanks for your feedback. I did think that green lume had been redone -- but thought the radium burns predated the relume, and had to mean the dial was original....
    Can radium lume be green? I thought those green lumes were from the fifties and were none radium.

PS - Larry, so nice to cross paths here. I wondered whether it was you :)

8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 19, 2015

I think redial as well. Happens. Blurry pictures are a double edged sword. I have won, and lost... the last was a loss. Longines Majetek that disappointed greatly in hand.

Nothing ventured nothing gained though.

9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 20, 2015

So sorry to hear about your Majetek Darlinboy.... real bummer. Good thing you've had some smashing finds.
    Thanks for your sympathy.

10. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 20, 2015

I agree that this is an old redial, old enough to pick up some radium burns. This is impossible to discern (at least for me) from the original, blurred seller's photo, but your friend's photo is telling.

[​IMG]

Longines font notwithstanding... internal inconsistencies such as the difference between the 2's in 20 and 25, and the irregular spacing and height of the 1/5 second hash marks, tell the tale. It's actually pretty impressive work when one considers that much of it appears to have been done freehand.

Warthog, arkstfan and Just Livin like this.
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 21, 2015

MMMD, thank you so much for this detailed analysis. Since I like it, your observations encourage me to accept it for what it is, get it fixed, and wear it.

12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 29, 2016

After many months, a cross-Atlantic journey, and several more months, this watch finally gets its day in the sun. I'd been wondering what to do with it. Find a stainless steel case ? Keep the crown, and sell the rest? Keep it for parts?
    After a trip to the watchmaker for a new crystal, I finally got inspired to find a strap and wear it.
    (sorry for double post)

[​IMG]

The beauty of straps is that they can add so much to a watch.
    This one just fits so nicely, I can actually see myself wearing the watch as is -- in all of its rugged beat-upness.

There's only one tiny problem: after 7 hours it was about 45 minutes fast, and now after about 12 hours it's almost an hour fast.
    It actually sounds like it's on cocaïne....

Edited Jul 30, 2016
  13. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 29, 2016

get it serviced. wear it and enjoy it! its a neat piece, redial or not

arkstfan and Syrte like this.
  14. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 29, 2016

Looks like an adventurin' watch.

Syrte likes this.
  15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 29, 2016

Not quite suited to the jungle, but after a service it should be ready for urban adventures :)

Fritz and GregH like this.
  16. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 29, 2016

get a sixties BMW..... that watch would suit it.... good urban adventure vehicle.....

bmw.jpg

Syrte and arkstfan like this.
  17. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 30, 2016

@Fritz, I'm flattered you think I'm capable of riding such a thing.
    I have the right orange leather jacket and even suitably high boots, but I can only cope so far with vintage mechanics -- watch calibers are enough of a headache and at least they fit into my drawers!

Fritz likes this.
  18. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 30, 2016

This I am sure is more suitable for our @Syrte :thumbsup:

Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 10.33.04.jpg

Seiji, ahartfie, Hijak and 4 others like this.
  19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 30, 2016

I'll make sure to add it to my birthday wish list ! :D
    While we're at it, with a prescription for use on a romantic trip to Capri, with sunglasses and a silk scarf flowing in the wind...

ahartfie, GregH and gostang9 like this.
  20. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 30, 2016

While my 62 BMW was one of the fussiest machines I've ever own, I'm sure it would be easier to live with than any Alfa......

Alpha! If we are to help the lady find the suitable ride for her Longines we must try a little harder for both class AND reliability:

We can go German.... classy & reliable, but a pig to fix if it does go wrong
    sl.jpg
    Or... we can go American, still quite reliable due to the simplicity of the it and it has the added advantage that you can repair the thing with a hammer if it goes wrong
    1962_thunderbird_a4afd990ef.jpg

and both can be painted bright yellow if required!