Forums Latest Members

Longines prestige pyramid in 1972

1. primabaleron Aug 30, 2017

2. georgeszaslavsky Sep 1, 2017

great job thanks for sharing

3. argonbeam Sep 1, 2017

"1972" is the key to this pyramid, methinks. I have many Longines, but no ultra-quartz or ultronic. Most of the Admiral and Conquest models at that time were using non-Longines sourced movements. Maybe that's why "lower" on the pyramid?

primabaleron and Rumar89 like this.
  4. Wibbles Sep 6, 2017

The Ultronic movement ESA 9162/4 was also bought in(same movement used by Omega in their f300). Like you said I'd reckon it's far more about the date involved. Electronic and quartz was the future, mechanical was the past and hierarchies and prices reflected that. The UltraQuartz was a fully in house movement and while originally developed by Longines as a "cheaper" method to produce a quartz wristwatch was still crazy expensive when compared to the old tech of mechanical(though a little cheaper than the Beta 21 quartz that the rest of the Swiss industry had developed and used*).

To give a thumbnail idea of the price differences; something like a flagship in steel might cost 180-200, an Ultronic was more like 250-300 and the UltraQuartz was in the 500-600 range. They even came with free insurance against loss. Over in Omega land, an f300 was not far off twice the price of a Speedmaster.

I'd have been pretty cool back in 72. :D Not today mind you...
    Ultronic Diver(which was more expensive than a Rolex Sub when new)
    LongineUltronicR.jpg

UltraQuartz
    Longines UQwrist2.jpg
    The quality of cases, dials etc reflected their original prices and because they're both tuning fork in nature the hand sweep is smoooooth. Until quite recently the battery allergy in watch collecting circles also meant they could be found for little enough money. Those two above together cost me less than 450 Euro. These days I'd be very lucky indeed to get just one of them for that money.

*Longines had been part of the Beta group, but had also kept in house development going, which caused some issues with the other members.

5. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Sep 6, 2017

To me it also reflects the accuracy of the watches, where the more accurate watches are at the top. Today, the pyramid is quasi-inverted because accuracy, where it used to drive the cost of a watch, has little prestige today.