Forums Latest Members
  1. alexantonio27 Nov 1, 2017

Hello forum friend
    i find this longines pocket watch at local Store,there is Robt Brown sudbury Longinea on dial,i can not find much info. internet,can some forum friend tell me about it?
    Ask $400 for this pocket watch,is it price ok?
    Thanks

P_20171031_115927_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg P_20171031_120718_vHDR_Auto.jpg
  2. Interstatetime Nov 1, 2017

In the early to mid 20th Century, Longines sold movements to their distributor in Canada to compete with RR watches from the US. Canadian law imposed a huge tariff on complete watches imported into Canada to protect the Canadian manufactures of watch cases so movements with dial and hands only were imported and then cased in Canadian cases. Canadian RR standards dictated that dials have red 24hour markings inside the outer 12 hour markings so the dial on this watch and the case of this watch are typical. These watches were typically sold to the public by jewelers who were railroad watch inspectors. Many of them ordered watches with their private label names on the dials and sometimes both on the dials and movements. This watch appears to be close to an American 16 size watch. My bet, without seeing the serial number on the movement would be that the watch might date from the mid to late '20s or early '30s

These Longines Canadian RR watches are typically very high grade. I would love to see a photo of the movement but this one looks to be completely original including the hands. Whether it is worth $400 is another question altogether. 10 years ago I would have said yes without question but pocket watches are in the dumps these days. This seems a nice example and if it runs well it might possibly be worth that much at full retail.

JohnCote