Forums Latest Members

Longines Majetek thread...

1. MattS May 10, 2014

Dear Longines vintage fans,

I recently added a Majetek to my collection. That is a watch I had kind of on my side wish list for some time, thinking I'll get one when I get the good opportunity. This is neither a particularly rare nor expensive watch but I favoured an emanel dial version in good condition and nice original hands.
    Indeed, quite a few I had seen were either in bad condition or had repainted dials and/or relumed hands.
    Recently I found one that matched the criteria I was looking for so here are the pictures.
    For reference the Majetek was originaly a watch made for pilots and sport activities. It has an interesting cushion shape, large size, 41mm, has fixed lugs to fit a 24mm strap.
    Mine is a first generation, enamel dial version, delivered in Tchec Republic in July 1938 as confirmed by the Longines extract of archives.It could be a civilian or military version, no one knows as first generation watches were not engraved with markings on the back. On later watches the military issued watches had markings on the back.

Here is a historical article:

[​IMG]

And here are some pictures of the watch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are some details:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And to finish a couple of wristshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for watching, if you have a Majetek, please kick in, post some pictures and share them here...

Matt

Fish70, Jopo, Waltesefalcon and 21 others like this.
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 10, 2014

I know a little about Longines and know nothing about Majetek. But I know this is a stunning piece :thumbsup:

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. ulackfocus May 10, 2014

Matt, you are the man when it comes to well aged vintage black dials. What a great addition!

4. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. May 10, 2014

It's perfect Matt. So much more charming than the heritage version they introduced this year.

5. NT931 May 10, 2014

I had no idea they made watches of that size then - amazing!

Interestingly the Czech ad uses the word 'Hodinky', the word which Ben Clymer has mentioned was the genesis for the name of his website.

6. papaebetu May 10, 2014

Mine got the Majetek issue caseback ;)

GIGI

IMG_4366.jpg
  7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 11, 2014

Thank you for sharing!

(((love))) those flared lugs.

I've got a thing for "full figure" dials.

8. MattS May 11, 2014

beautiful example! thanks for sharing. Matt

MEugene likes this.
  9. orchidmansion May 11, 2014

Thanks for sharing!
    The Longines of the 1930s-1940s have a romantic aura about it, for me at least. The Majetek being one of those special pieces of the era.

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 11, 2014

What are the Majeteks going for nowadays?

11. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG May 11, 2014

I think $2000 or so a reasonable mid price; a decent 15.68 3rd series, metal dial, w/Majetek spray engravings went quite cheap a month or so ago for <1000 Euros.
    Matt's beautiful example, I would imagine ~$3000 .

MEugene likes this.
  12. MattS May 12, 2014

that's more or less the range, but as said above prices can range from 1K€ to 3K€ depending on the model and condition which remains a great deal for what you get IMHO, the challenge is more to find a nice and fully original one!...

Matt

13. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG May 14, 2014

Hard to post after Matt's fine example, but finallly borrowed one of my kid's iphones for a quick addition to the conversation. Type 3, 15.68, 1945 I believe. image.jpg

Waltesefalcon, MEugene, SeanO and 3 others like this.
  14. MattS May 17, 2014

thanks for posting this beauty! Funny to notice the big size pointer on this one!

Matt

15. Traveler Aug 7, 2014

Hi All,

Please excuse the poor quality photos ( Matt stunning photography on your post ). I just received my Longines extract from the archives on mine, so wanted to share again ( previously posted on WRUW ). Mine is dated to 15th November 1938, invoiced to the company Kohn, the Czech Republic agent at the time.

In looking around for more info I also came across this very informative article that includes a photo of a Czech RAF pilot wearing what appears to be a Majetek.

http://milspectime.com/?p=722

Plus, for those interested, in researching the Czech RAF squadron history around my home town ( where sadly one of the pilots was shot down ) I discovered this published memoirs, which I have just started, and is a fascinating read. The pilot had to sell his own ( civilian ) Longines to raise money while escaping to try and join the French Air Force!

I think this watch is truly stunning, and always receive comments and questions whenever I wear it.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

16. tudor66 Nov 7, 2017

Matt, I am just posting my Majetek to bump this awesome thread...

longines1.jpg

Waltesefalcon, rbob99, wagudc and 4 others like this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 7, 2017

Panerwhat?

18. minutenrohr Nov 23, 2017

...15.68 / metal dial
    DSCF7879.JPG DSCF7880.JPG DSCF7881.JPG DSCF7882.JPG DSCF7883.JPG

MEugene, rbob99, jmazpiazu and 5 others like this.
  19. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Nov 25, 2017

A fake dial for reference.
    dial.JPG back.JPG mov.JPG

airansun likes this.
  20. Seiji Nov 26, 2017

New Old Stock case with incorrect engraving method.

By the way, are you basing the judgementbof fake dial based on missing antimagnetic? Or subdial fonts? Longines ref 3582.

The dial appears to be genuine civilian model which do not say antimagnitic. The military engraving does not belong on the watch

$_57 (3).JPG

In the advertisement also, no Antimagnetic.
    longcafad.jpg

Very rare civilian porcelain dial (sold for a small premium verses the military version)
    $_57.JPG
    $_57 (1).JPG

A real crime in a way that they took a civilian model and made it military as these don't show up much at all and maybe among the rarest of the watches.

Edited Nov 26, 2017
    MEugene, Jopo, watchyouwant and 4 others like this.