Forums Latest Members
  1. ctek Nov 17, 2013

Guys,

I have this watch, it has seen better days.... but works fine....

As I understand, it looks like its from the late 50's early 60's.... but i have been searching for ages and I could not find another picture with the same dial.....

just wondering if anyone can verify if they have seen or have a similar dial ?? the movement is stamped longines, but really want to find out if it's an original dial or refinished....

any feedback anyone can give would be great...

[​IMG]

Cheers....

2. ulackfocus Nov 17, 2013

Looks like an original dial to me. I see what looks like the top of SWISS MADE at bottom edge (unless that's just dirt). It's got a caliber 30L inside.

3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Nov 18, 2013

Looks like the factory finish to me. I have seen such a dial before, with FLAGSHIP riding low on the sub-sec.

And as for the "better days" comment, true, but looks great all the same. Enjoy it!

4. ctek Nov 18, 2013

I have seen the same face on a black dial, but never on a white dial...
    in relation to the case, it looks it has "made in argentina" on the back, well that where it came from :)

so what you guys think are the odds the back cap only was made in argentina as a repalcement ???

5. ulackfocus Nov 18, 2013

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it were a South American made case. Got more pictures?

6. ctek Nov 18, 2013

ill dig some more up, movement is legit though, as it is seriliazed, and looks the goods...

do you guys think it would be worth getting an original case ?? I have only seen similar dial's on gold cases....

7. ulackfocus Nov 18, 2013

It might be hard, but not impossible, to find a correct Swiss case for it. If it bothers you that the case is stainless, you could always have it plated.

8. ctek Nov 18, 2013

the "aftermarket" case doesnt bother me all that much... it has more sentimental value than anything else...

but the dial has seen better days... I know that with vintage, original dial is a must... but how much deterioration is too much ???

Really considering whether a dial refinish will be in order...

Cheers...

9. ulackfocus Nov 18, 2013

That dial doesn't look so bad IMO.

10. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Nov 18, 2013

The dial looks fine. Here's a thought that stuck in my head years ago (apologies if it has absolutely no bearing on your situation!)

If the watch was previously worn by someone you loved and/or admired, would you not prefer to gaze at the very same face that your loved/admired one gazed at so many times? I know I would.

YMMV. Frankly, a refinished dial is a gamble too big for me to take. I'm sending a "known quantity" to be altered irreversibly in the hopes I will admire it more. And I rarely admire it more (it would have to be waaaaay far gone).

Just my 0.02.

Hijak likes this.