Forums Latest Members

Longines Expert Opinions Sought on Conquest

1. The Thin Man Nov 11, 2016

This is my first post but I've lurked for a few months now. It's nice to be official!

The newly released Longines Heritage 1969 has me starry-eyed although it seems to be a little much for the budget at the moment. I've gone back a few decades to see if an equally similar timepiece could be had at a stronger price point.

It seems to me the Longines Conquest line from the mid to early-seventies fits the bill nicely. Recently, this ConquestPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network came up for sale on eBay. Although the case thickness is 12mm compared with the 9mm 1969, I do like the design. What has me the most apprehensive is the item location (Poland). I've been burned on eBay before which shifted me to purchasing only new from reputable dealers or through WatchRecon.

I would be delighted to get opinions on not only the style and build of the piece but thoughts on this particular transaction (international, incorrect/non-matching issues, etc.).

Thanks, all!

2. ulackfocus Nov 11, 2016

First off, eBay is the Wild West. There are good sellers, and there are snake oil con men and scammers. They come from every country, not just the old Communist Bloc nations and the surrounding area. Poland isn't a hot spot that stands out though.

Second, that's a caliber 508, which is a rebadged Record 195x series. Longines acquired Record in 1961, so technically it's an in-house caliber but not in the strictest sense. Since collectors value true in-house calibers, the 50x series isn't in as much demand nor does it fetch big bucks like an in-house movement or even some of the other earlier rebadged Longines movements.

Third, the opening bid is about the maximum I'd want to pay for it, and that's if I had a few glasses of an adult beverage while surfing eBay and found nothing else of interest.

If you really like that modern tribute watch, look for Longines' from the 70's that have the in-house caliber 890 or 990 series. They look MUCH more like that design and can be found for $500 or less.

aap, dougiedude, Mr.Cairo and 2 others like this.
  3. The Thin Man Nov 11, 2016

I very much appreciate the candid and straightforward reply.

Regarding the in-house calibers that you mention, are those also under the Conquest line or do they typically show up as other models? Keeping with the square cushion case is important to me.

Thank you again.

4. ulackfocus Nov 11, 2016

Longines made several series of in-house calibers. You can read about each one they manufactured up to the early 70's in the sticky at the top of this forum: https://omegaforums.net/threads/longines-vintage-automatics.411/

The 890 and 990 series are the ones you'll find in the square / rectangular cases from the 70's and early 80's. Here's one with an 890 in it from 1977:

long-auto-tog1.jpg

Here's a link to a member that inquired about his caliber 990:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/inherited-longines-automatic-cal-990-1.30852/

The Conquest models used to have all in-house calibers when they were introduced in the 50's, but that changed in the early to mid 60's.

khmt2, Vitezi and The Thin Man like this.
  5. Vitezi Nov 11, 2016

Holy moley and Greatpa like this.
  6. The Thin Man Nov 11, 2016

al128 likes this.
  7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 12, 2016

Don't know if this one fits the bill but it does look a bit like the ones which have been discussed, also sold in Poland by the way, but 260 euros sounds like a pretty reasonable price.
    Offered on another forum, not sure whether the caliber is good -- and of course one would have to use Paypal for protection and do some due diligence on the seller:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/lo...8.html#/forumsite/20758/topics/3753938?page=1

dougiedude likes this.