Forums Latest Members
  1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 1, 2015

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 1, 2015

I have no idea on this one.

I would like it better if I could see another one with the same case reference number to see if the fonts are the same.
    gatorcpa

Edit - This one is as close as I can find. The movement looks to be a non-chronometer, gold-plated cal. 27.

http://nakahiro.parfait.ne.jp/moji3/longines27.html

There are some similarities in the subseconds fonts, but I'm not ready to go full original on the first example.

noelekal likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Mar 1, 2015

Color me skeptical of it being a chronometer. Longines usually decorated those movements better and had more precise regulation for them. Something is making my spider sense tingle about that watch - I would not have bid on it and probably dismissed it after a brief inspection...... but I could be wrong so wait for other opinions.

noelekal likes this.
  4. orchidmansion Mar 1, 2015

One difference I have spotted between a regular cal 27 and this "chronometer", is the presence of a gold pallet fork, in place of the regular steel.

noelekal likes this.
  5. minutenrohr Mar 2, 2015

6. ulackfocus Mar 2, 2015

Yes - can you see the difference? Look to the left of the balance wheel's pivot / cap jewel on both pictures:

DSC_8683.JPG long_27msc_01.jpg

It's subtle, but the 30L and 30L chronometers have a similar change. It was pointed out in this thread:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/teaser-quiz.6026/

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 2, 2015

Not sure I agree with the gold-plated pallet fork marking the chronometer movements. The example I posted has a gold-plated movement which includes the pallet fork. This was done for certain markets (particularly the UK) in the old days.

There is no indication that the plated movement is chronometer grade, and it also has the two-tone polishing on the winding wheels.

I think the only way to find out the answer would be to contact Longines. They should have the records on which movements were rated as chronometers. Since this is a pre-1951 movement, the testing was likely done in-house.

I can't make any conclusions on the dial without finding another example.
    gatorcpa

noelekal likes this.
  8. orchidmansion Mar 2, 2015

I agree with you guys that a gold pallet fork does not a chronometre make. Still I found it interesting that this "chronometre" that we are scrutinizing has a gold pallet fork, while my own 27M does not ...

noelekal likes this.