Forums Latest Members
  1. orchidmansion Mar 2, 2014

Hello fellow Longines fans!

I'm buying my first vintage longines and I'm seeking the help of the experts here to see if this 1940s Longines cal. 27M is a redial.
    Thank you so much!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skrotis likes this.
  2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 2, 2014

IMO this is a redial. The subdial's outer edge overlaps the impression (which seems too deep). It doesn't looks like "swiss made" is written at 6 o'clock. The ink seems too fresh.

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 2, 2014

I'd say that there is a reasonable chance that the dial is original. MP's subdial question could be related to parallax distortion, and not all early dials had "SWISS MADE" on them.

I'd like to see photos of the case back and movement, to see whether their condition is consistent with the dial, but the quality of the lettering looks to me to be too good for a likely redial.

4. orchidmansion Mar 2, 2014

Tony, MP, many thanks for your valuable opinion. Yes, the subdial was what I am concerned with. For me it is the division strokes on the dial that seems too uneven to have passed any quality control at Longines. Yet the accuracy of the Longines logo seems to good to have been reprinted.

Looks like the verdict may be inconclusive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 3, 2014

The watch appears to have been well-kept, and the condition of the various parts seems to be consistent. Given that the blued hands have survived with very little apparent degradation, I'm sticking with my first impression that the dial is original. That LONGINES font is not an easy one to reproduce convincingly, and then there is always the question of why it would have been necessary to have the dial refinished when the rest of the watch shows relatively little wear.

6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 3, 2014

And obviously worn on a Nato for some time, very nice.

7. Dablitzer Mar 3, 2014

I have seen this uneven printing of sub dial and overlap before, and I was pretty sure the dial was original too. For what it's worth!

8. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 3, 2014

If it is original, I'd say it would be a fantastic first Longines, orchidmansion!

9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 3, 2014

10. orchidmansion Mar 3, 2014

MP: Thats a lovely watch, especially with the two tone dial and art deco font.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed this transaction goes well. Buying watches online is always a roll of the dice no matter how many times you've done it I believe?

Tony, thanks for weighing in with your perspective and experience, it really helped, and I'm learning more here.

Dablitzer, I've seen more delicately done Longines sub-dials than the example I have here. Considering this isn't some budget-class caliber, I'm surprised the dial doesn't come with more bells and whistles. Still a pretty aesthetic overall for the dial, which seals the deal for me.

Thats something I don't understand about the nature of this steel as well: is the imprint of a NATO caused by sweat?

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
  11. orchidmansion Mar 7, 2014

[​IMG]

Dear friends, the watch is with me. Many thanks for your kind contributions once again.
    One last update, from the Longines Heritage Department:

Dear Mr. __

Thank you for your request.
    Further to your request, we have the pleasure to give you the information mentioned in our registers.
    Originally, the serial number 7’36x’xxx identifies a wrist-watch in stainless steel, fitted with a Longines mechanical manually wound movement, caliber 27M. It has been invoiced on the 17th July 1948 to the Company Hakkak, at that time our agent for Iran.

Hoping that these indications are convenient to you, we remain at your entire disposal for any additional information.

Best regards,

Aurélie Tonna
    Brand Heritage Assistant

DaveK likes this.
  12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 3, 2014

Beautiful 'first get' of a Longines... Congrats!

I'm wondering, how did you know it had the 27M movement? Were you able to see a picture of it?

13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 4, 2014

Very cool that it originally sold in Iran, too. That certainly makes it uncommon.

14. orchidmansion Nov 7, 2014

Hi dougiedude, thanks it is indeed a lovely watch, thank you.
    The seller did provide a photo of the movement. Did some homework on the net and found out more about the 27M.

Tony: yes, providence is half the satisfaction of this hobby. Some additional info that Longines Heritage has provided me. (I will stop pestering them for a while now... )
    How times have changed for Iran and Iraq!

dougiedude likes this.
  15. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 7, 2014

VERY cool information regarding your original watch's AD, the Hakkak Trading Co.

I guess a 'dibs' request would be pretty ridiculous (and also, probably too late) at this point, but I will do it anyway:

DIBS!!!

16. orchidmansion Nov 8, 2014

You'd definitely be the first person I'll keep in mind should I want to sell this gem. Cheers dougiedude!

dougiedude likes this.
  17. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 8, 2014

Thanks...Wear that beauty in good health!