Forums Latest Members

Longines 27m - advice needed

1. NT931 Jul 17, 2016

Hi folks,
    Another chapter in the on-again off-again search for a dress Longines...

Found this one for sale, and so far I think
    a. hands look correct
    b. dial is not a redial (and I like the dial)
    c. movement is a 27m as stated by the seller, which I'm compared with Dr Ranfft's website

Lg1.JPG Lg2a.jpg Lg3.JPG Lg4.JPG

I wanted to ask a question specifically about the movement - it seems there's a screw head missing? (adjacent to the 'gin' of "Longines", arrowed).

Is this a big deal - ie. it's problematic cos the movement can't be removed for servicing, or the loss makes the movement go wonky somehow? Or is it a minor issue - one where the watchmaker can simply replace the screw and the watch is salvageable? A major (and troublesome) fix, or an easy fix?

And are there any other red flags that I've missed? Advice welcome, thanks in advance!

2. ulackfocus Jul 17, 2016

It's a case mounting screw, and it probably can be replaced. Don't know how hard it will be to find a correct replacement.

argonbeam likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 17, 2016

Missing or broken off :whistling:

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 17, 2016

Assuming that it's just missing, I wouldn't expect it to be hard to find a replacement.

5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 17, 2016

I really do like that watch's appearance.

argonbeam likes this.
  6. argonbeam Jul 18, 2016

I like the texture on the outer part of the dial. The movement looks clean. I don't have a 27M but may need to start looking.

I don't get "on-again off-again".
    What is "off-again"? My wife keeps suggesting it. ;)

7. NT931 Jul 18, 2016

Thanks everyone!

Think I'll pass - the potential hassle of repairing something like this is not for the faint-hearted like me at the price the seller is asking. (Ok I freely admit I'm a wuss)

In case anyone else is keen to take a shot, here's the link Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network- have fun!