Forums Latest Members
  1. fluffydawg Feb 17, 2019

Hi all,

Looking up some vintage watches and i'm new at this, appreciate any help to verify authenticity of this particular one im looking at

longines1.jpg longines2.jpg longines3.jpg longines4.jpg
    Spruce, Deafboy and TedG954 like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 17, 2019

I see no reason to believe that it is not genuine.

3. fluffydawg Feb 17, 2019

Thank you. Dial-wise + movement everything seems ok?

Also, are you able to tell the design on this so I can search on it abit more? Just trying my luck.. :D

4. Dan S Feb 17, 2019

It appears to be a US-cased watch, so it may be difficult to identify a particular reference and/or find identical examples. There are obvious signs of water intrusion by the stem; however, I don't see major rust problems in the movement. Everything looks pretty clean.

fluffydawg likes this.
  5. fluffydawg Feb 17, 2019

Thanks Dan, I guess its time to proceed with this transaction.

Btw US-Cased watch means to say theres alot of variation hence hard to identify?

6. Dan S Feb 17, 2019

Well, I don't want to mislead you, so maybe you should wait for a more knowledgeable member. But when I see the engraving on the inside of the case-back (along with the LXW import code on the movement), it suggests to me that this watch was originally shipped in parts to the US and assembled into a US-made case. This was normal practice during a certain era. So it wouldn't necessarily have a Longines reference number and I wouldn't know how to search for other examples. There is generally less information about US-cased Swiss watches in general.

You could try requesting historical information from the Longines archives (it's free through their website). However, if it was cased as I suspect, they will just tell you that the movement was shipped to the Longines-Wittnauer Watch Co., but at least you will know the date and that the movement is properly in a US-made case.

Deafboy likes this.
  7. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Feb 17, 2019

Hi,
    Welcome to Omega Forums!
    It's a nice watch. Be advised that the case is gold filled, and not solid gold, and this has a major influence on its monetary value.

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 17, 2019

No reason to believe that it isn't fully genuine. However, as noted above, most collectors tend to avoid gold-filled cases, so the value is less than a similar steel or gold cased version would be.

DRjre086 likes this.