Forums Latest Members

SOLD Longines 14k gold dress watch

1. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2018

Hi guys and gals! I just opened the box that held my Longines watches, back when I had dozens of them, and found one that's in excellent shape that I've decided needs a new home. Frankly, I forgot I even owned it. Before we get to the pictures, here's what passes for my description....

What I do know

CASE: It's in great shape, unpolished from the looks, with nearly all of the original concentric circle finish still showing on the caseback. The lugs and lines are crisp, with minimal scratches or dings. I decided to shoot the photos without even cleaning off dust or fingerprints so you can see it as it was stored, in a combination of natural and artificial light to accent any imperfections. It's just under 35mm wide without the crown, measured diagonally from 2 to 8. This is a front loading Admiral style solid 14k yellow gold case, made in the USA by a Longines contractor (as were all 14k cases from the mid-40's into the 70's). It also has the original logo crown.

DIAL: Duuuuuuuude! Sweeeeeet! Any slight imperfection can only be seen under 3.5x magnification, and then you really have to search for any slight spots. The applied numerals capture and reflect light briliiantly.

CALIBER: This is a manual wind movement from the mid- to late-50's and runs well

What I don't know

CALIBER: I just do NOT remember what's under the hood, but suspect it's either a 23ZS or 280 series manual wind. EDIT: Now we do know it's a caliber 280. I think I had it serviced years ago, so I'd recommend another service to be safe. If I were shown this watch by a member and had to wager on what's powering it, I think I'd win any bet saying it's one of those two movements. Both are in-house Longines calibers. ***Since this is a front loading watch, I do not have the tools to open it up and post movement shots. However, I can assure you at some point in my stewardship of this watch, I have seen the movement and it's in the kind of great shape you'd expect when you see the dial, hands, and case condition. Those that know me know I put a lot of weight into the condition & quality of every watch's movement I've ever owned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, if I had movement shots, I'd be asking around $850 (give or take) for a watch like this, and it would be worth it. Given that I'm a putz and lost my records, I'm going to offer it at $775 including USPS Priority Small Box shipping within the CONUS. Take advantage of my stupidity and save a few bucks - you won't find a solid gold Longines in eBay in this kind of shape! Yes, I know..... you're thinking "but Dennis, you and the other veterans ALWAYS yell at us to get movement shots!" and you would be correct. However, this is the safest gamble you'll ever take on buying a watch blind to what's inside. If in doubt, ask on the forum about my reputation as a seller and the condition (and packing) of any watch I've sold over the last decade. In a day or two you'll have a dozen replies endorsing me.

Contact via PM only! I accept PayPal (and I won't ask you to cover the fees nor send payment via Friends and Family!!!!) and bank transfer, and if you're local we can do face-to-face for cash with an appropriate discount.

Thanks for looking!

Edited Jun 5, 2018
  2. dragoman Jun 5, 2018

ulackfocus likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2018

Larry S and dragoman like this.
  4. ClarendonVintage Jun 5, 2018

Longings huh?

Haha my (ex) cal 370 says hi!

20170915_191601.jpg

ulackfocus likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2018

I own the pimp daddy version - white gold diamond dial caliber 370 from 1966:

IMG_4207-1.jpg

Somebody would have to seriously overpay to pry that one from my hands. ;)

Lucasssssss and ClarendonVintage like this.
  6. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2018

The watch is OHPF while we work out shipping details.

Jacquot, propervinyl and BenBagbag like this.
  7. ulackfocus Jun 6, 2018

It's official - shipping worked out, payment made, watch is now marked SOLD.

Thanks everyone!

GuiltyBoomerang, Dre and X350 XJR like this.
  8. GordonL Jun 6, 2018

lovely looking watch! I'm just glad somebody else bought it.

ulackfocus likes this.
  9. gostang9 Jun 6, 2018

WHAT? and with no movement shot? :cool: ::stirthepot::

Congrats to buyer and seller of the TGDW! (I have a lot of lbs/kgs to drop before I could pull off such a lovely watch) ::psy::

ulackfocus likes this.
  10. ulackfocus Jun 6, 2018

I know! What kind a schlocky seller wouldn't include a few pics of the insides?

Gaining or losing weight.... what a great excuse to buy new watches! You need new clothes, so why not? :thumbsup:

gostang9 likes this.
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 29, 2018

Very nice. Damn. :thumbsup:
    Congrats to buyer and seller.

12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jun 29, 2018

ulackfocus likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Jun 29, 2018

You got the 22A. That was enough by itself. ;) :p

dougiedude likes this.