Forums Latest Members

Longines 13ZN-12 centre minute counter large case chronograph. Super rare !!

1. noiseboyuk Nov 10, 2017

Hi All,
    I’m reluctantly putting my Longines 13ZN-12 large case (39.25mm) watch on the market.

It’s one of those watches that I’ve owned for a long time and always swore that I would never sell, but the lure of another ‘grail’ has forced my hand.

I know there’s a substantial ‘Longines appreciation society’ on the Omega Forum, but for those of you who know little about the 13ZN-12 here’s a brief resume:

The 13ZN movement is generally regarded as one of the very top Chronograph movements ever made.
    The standard 13ZN movement is a 2 register fly-back chronograph with a centre second sweep chrono counter, an elapsed minute register at 3 o’clock and permanent running seconds at 9 o’clock.

The 13ZN-12 is the super rare in-house Longines complication which adds an elapsed hour counter by substantially modifying the movement.
    So the 13ZN-12 has – centre sweep chrono seconds hand with a further centre sweep elapsed minute hand, this together with elapsed hour register at 3 o’clock completed by a permanent running seconds register at 9 o’clock.

Unfortunately, when I bought the watch many years ago, the dial had already been refinished with what appeared to be the delicacy and accuracy of a visually challenged painter and decorator !!
    Subsequently, I had the dial refinished in Italy by a bespoke dial re-finisher.
    It should also be mentioned that there is some doubt as to whether all the hands are original to the watch.
    Because of the rarity of this model there are few examples to base judgements on and opinion is divided, however, the centre second, minute hand and subdial hands may not be 'correct'.
    I guess we're in the area of doubt attributed to age and use of components available at the time.

Suffice it to say, that I bought the watch having fallen in love with the 'art' of the movement and it's rarity, it really has a very 'special' feel to it.

This watch is the very rare ‘large case’ square pusher version. Estimates vary but it's generally accepted that the number of surviving large case 13ZN-12 may be numbered at the most in the very low hundreds. In all respects it is in excellent condition for its age (circa 1950 ‘s). It runs extremely well, keeping very good time with a decent power reserve. It winds and sets smoothly and all chrono functions work correctly with the sub counters and hands all re-setting to zero.

The watch will be mounted on a vintage 'cracked' leather strap with a relatively modern Longines tang buckle.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so please check them out below.
    I’ve included a picture of the dial as I received it - hopefully you will agree, that under the circumstances, a refinish was the right thing to do.

Moving on to price .

There are so few of these that come onto the market, it is difficult to gauge where to position it.
    I’m aware that original dial examples can command astronomical prices (up to $100k) and that under general circumstances re-finished dials have a substantial impact on value.
    In the instance of these particular watches, I suspect that the rarity of the movement reduces the re-finished dial ‘differential’ somewhat.

Although it is difficult to set a 'benchmark', I'd like to see UK £12k or near offer for this extremely rare watch, this to include shipping. Whilst I prefer a straight sale, I would consider part trade of Rolex, Tudor, Omega sports & tool watches.

I have no doubt that this is a watch that can only increase in value and represents an excellent investment while being a beautiful watch to wear and a marvel of the art of horology. I think that it represents great value compared to a 100% original and correct example, being a fraction of the cost.

Please contact me directly on [email protected] for further info etc.

Thanks for looking.

xDSC03835.jpg xDSC03836.jpg xDSC03837.jpg xDSC03838.jpg xDSC03839.jpg xDSC03840.jpg xDSC03841.jpg xDSC03842.jpg xDSC03843.jpg xDSC03844.jpg xL2i-Longines-13ZN-Centre-Mi.jpg
    DSCN0015.JPG

Edited Nov 14, 2017
  2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 10, 2017

Wow :eek:. WOW!

Simply, and absolutely Gorgeous!

SGLWFS!

3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Nov 10, 2017

^^^What he said. Wow!

Very tasty...

4. noiseboyuk Nov 14, 2017

Hi,
    I've had several email enquiries about the watch.
    Just to clarify - whilst I'm primarily interested in a straight sale, I may consider a part trade (vintage Rolex, Tudor, Omega sports and tool watches).
    Cheers.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 14, 2017

You need to put a specific sale price on this or the post will be deleted.