Forums Latest Members

Longines 11.84N, 1915? Authentication help!

1. bhoboo Mar 8, 2018

Hello Friends,
    First about me: I am a vintage Longines addict as of now and long-term lurker in this sub forum. I can't think of any other place when I need help regarding vintage Longines.
    Ok, this is my latest acquisition from the bay and I have a dilemma because I have questions about the case, so whether to keep it and add to my future restoration list (of course, guilty of accumulation!) or not worth the hassle and return to the seller.
    Here are the facts:
    Movement: 11.84N, 334**** serial puts around year 1915. Rust in few places. Balance swings but the watch is currently not working.
    Dial: This is the best part and main reason for the purchase! Radium indices and hands! (Ouch!) But I feel it really survived well.
    The real question is about the case back!
    The midcase and bezel looks original (back of bezel has same number 3) but the case back is not matching and quiestionable at least and I am leaving it to your opinions. Thanks for the help and ideas.
    By the way, this is the my oldest Longines and I couldn't find comparable watches on the web.
    To put this into the perspective, I didn't have case back picture before purchasing!. The ebay listing is 222851633099.
    Here comes the pictures. IMG_20180308_101626612.jpg IMG_20180308_101808444.jpg IMG_20180308_101925774.jpg IMG_20180308_102024975.jpg IMG_20180308_102234811.jpg

Edited Mar 8, 2018
  2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Mar 8, 2018

This is a very neat piece. From the front, everything looks authentic and coherent. The dial is original and hands match, stylistically. The crown looks like the ones used in period and the case does not stand out as incorrect. From the outside, the case-back looks alright. The movement is the first surprising part as the serial number is not in line with the design of the dial/hands/case. On occasion, Longines would 'refresh' an old watch by replacing the dial/hands and even case. As you have mentioned, the serial number suggests a watch from the early 1920's or even before. The rest of the watch looks to be from the early 1930's. I suggest contacting Longines with the serial number and inquiring about a possible 'refresh' in the 1930's. As for the case-back, I would expect to find a matching serial number but if this has indeed been re-cased by Longines, the normal rules may not apply. If you are into Longines from the 1930's, this is definitely worth keeping. Not sure what the "restoration" will entail but try to leave it as original as possible!

Syrte and bhoboo like this.
  3. bhoboo Mar 8, 2018

Thank you DirtyDozen12 for the valuable advice. Indeed, I will keep it and will contact Longines for further details.

I am not sure about the restoration since I haven't found a good watchmaker for this kind of watches needing more than clean and oiling. My understanding is that good & reasonable watchmakers are extremely hard to find these days or those who are good are very busy and expensive. My search will continue. Any suggestions are welcome.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 8, 2018

Where do you live? It will help us help you. Indeed there are good watchmakers out there who can help you with this.

bhoboo likes this.
  5. bhoboo Mar 8, 2018

Hi Larry S Thank you and I am in Texas. I will really appreciate the help!

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 8, 2018

Bob Ridley comes to mind. @TexOmega any others?

bhoboo likes this.
  7. bubba48 Mar 8, 2018

The discrepancy among movement, dial and case in that period is well known.
    Some years ago I had a corrispondence with Longines about the same problem for this watch

longines 1923 (19).jpg

longines 1923 (16).jpg

"Dear Mr. Xxxxx,
    Thank you for your e-mail as well as for your interest in LONGINES watches.
    We have pleasure in giving you below the information we found in our old, hand-written production register regarding your LONGINES watch with serial number 3'632'622. It is a watch in silver 900. It has been invoiced to our agents in France on the 2nd July 1923 It is equipped with a movement calibre 11.84N.
    Hope this information is convenient to you, and always at your disposal, I remain with my best regards.

Raymond Krebs
    Archives & Documentation
    "
    ==============================

Dear Mr. Krebs,
    You say the watch has been invoiced in 1923 and the logo on the dial may be correct for that year. However, according to the serial number of the movement and case, the watch was probably manufactured in 1918 or something. How is it possible?
    Thanks and best regards.

===============================

"Dear Mr. Xxxxxxx,
    It is quite possible that this movement has been produced a couple of years before having been sold in 1923.
    Best regards.

Raymond Krebs
    Archives & Documentation
    "

GuiltyBoomerang, argonbeam and bhoboo like this.
  8. Rumar89 Mar 8, 2018

Good lord, dibs. That is beautiful.

argonbeam likes this.
  9. bhoboo Mar 8, 2018

Thank you bubba48 . Yours is a really beautiful case/dial combination.

10. jnb9 Mar 17, 2018

Sorry for stealing a thread but as the novice I can't start my own:(

Could you guys help me to find out the production year and the model name of the watch which I have found in my parents house?

The serial number on the case back and the movement is 1027174, the case diameter is 31 mm. Online sources are giving the production date to be between 1899 and 1901..

How could it be that the watch were produced in, say, 1900 while Longines had release their first wrist watch only in 1905?
    Is it a men's watch or a woman's watch?
    Do this watch have any collectible value?
    IMG-2497.JPG IMG-2498.JPG IMG-2499.JPG IMG-2500.JPG IMG-2501.JPG IMG-2502.JPG
    Thanks and regards.

11. argonbeam Mar 17, 2018

Every time I think @bubba48 can’t one up himself again, he pulls another beauty out his hat. Second dibs. That is gorgeous.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 17, 2018

Probably a women's pocket watch that had lugs added to convert it to a men's wristwatch. This was done a lot in the 1920's.

You will need new hands, which should not be too tough to find. If the movement needs service that will cost a bit.

Value is in the gold case. Not a hugely collectible item, but a good conversation starter.
    gatorcpa

13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 18, 2018

Congrats @bhoboo, I agree with @DirtyDozen12 and I too wondered about the timing discrepancy between the movement and the style.
    Dibs if you want to sell it !!
    Was it a US only sale on Ebay?
    Best regards

14. bhoboo Mar 21, 2018

Thanks @Syrte. Dibs noted. For now, I plan to get it serviced. I will share once it comes out of Service.