Forums Latest Members

Long time lurker about to join the family... Speedy (opinions needed)

1. CasualCorona Feb 13, 2019

Hey everyone! First, let me thank you for providing a great wealth of information for me to read and learn from. It has been extremely helpful! I am a long time Rolex guy but have always had my eye on a vintage speedy. I recently decided to take the plung when I came across an example 145.0022 (cir. 1987). Still in the process of negotiating with the seller but wouldn't mind a 2nd opinion...

145.0022 1987
    Original crystal, dial, hands, bezel, caseback, movement, crown and pushers
    861 movement 482323##
    1171 bracelet 633 endlinks

Also looking for any recommendations on leather straps! Very excited

dialandcase.jpg frontbottom.jpg frontcrown.jpg fronttop.jpg
    drhombus24 and superfly like this.
  2. OWa Feb 14, 2019

Hi CasulaCorona,

Nice looking watch. The tritium of the hands got lost over time, but you probably know this. It should be possible to find NOS hands in order to replace the old ones (if you want). Otherwise it seems to be in a pretty good shape.
    According to ilovemyspeedmaster.com your watch dates to May 87. You could also post photos of the case back an braclet if you want opinions on those.

Cheers

Edited Feb 14, 2019
    CasualCorona and Cal_321 like this.
  3. CasualCorona Feb 14, 2019

Thanks.

Yes, ilovemyspeedmaster.com was an awesome site a member created. It helped me narrow down may watches. Here are a few more of the watch, I should take receipt of the watch before the end of the month. Kicking around the idea of getting a SEL speedmaster pro bracelet. Blasphemous!

caseback.jpg caseback2.jpg fullwatch.jpg movement.jpeg
    Edited Feb 14, 2019
  4. WYO_Watch Feb 14, 2019

I think there is a lot of value in these models because you tend to get a lot of the vintage look without the price tag and certain difficulties of pre-moon pieces. Price is obviously going to be a determining factor on opinions of the piece. It looks like it was recently serviced in 2018?

It’s got a great DNN bezel and the patina on the markers is stunning. Too bad about the coloration of the hand lume and the missing paint on the hands. It still remains an attractive piece.

Here is mine (believe 1982?) sporting service hands and an decimeter bezel. Basic leather strap, but the stitching really matches the patina :thumbsup:

77E31458-DD65-44FB-8952-064F165A68B9.jpeg

CasualCorona likes this.
  5. CasualCorona Feb 14, 2019

I agree. I spent a lot of time going for an earlier piece and then just decided to go with a birth year unit ('87). Added bonus, call me what you will, but the s/n has my moms birthday mm/dd/yy and the case back writing my wife's birthday dd/yy. Must be fate, ha.

Once i get it in hand and enjoy it for a few. I may look into having the hands touched up and lumed to match the dial patina. My biggest points of consideration were a nice dial, bezel insert, and case with minimal polishing. After more hours then I am willing to admit, this was the example i decided on.

Your hands/lume look immaculate. btw, what strap is that? I picked up one B&S brown strap. I'll probably get a black one and nato to have variety.

6. OWa Feb 14, 2019

Braclet and case back appear to be period correct. There might be little stains of rust on the case back.

7. WYO_Watch Feb 14, 2019

Turns out they are service, didn’t realize this when I bought the piece ::facepalm1:: but since then have enjoyed them for what they are. Obviously original are sought after, but I doubt I would put the money into this watch switching them out. The lume matches pretty well and the white paint I think contrasts the patina nicely.

Strap is a cheap leather strap off the bay. Probabaly spent less than $20 on it. Not sure if there is even a brand stamped on it. I’ve bought several trying to get something to match the lume and finally found one.

8. Screwbacks Feb 14, 2019

Congrats. that's a nice speedy distined to be yours, with your birthyear and your mom's. hard to find indeed. nothing really i can see
    that destroys the general condition and originality of the watch.