Forums Latest Members
  1. bvertz Jul 26, 2015

In February I threw my lot in with the 9 others who purchased the last of the Watchco SM 300's from Australia. The few weeks that I had to wait for my watch to be built and shipped were only the start of a long journey, which finally concluded last week. At last my Watchco SM 300 is home with me, in my box and on my wrist.

Foolishly, I didn't supply Watchco with a watch customs declaration form when it was first shipped from Oz. I didn't know enough to supply the form, and they didn't ask. So the first time my watch was shipped, it got caught up in customs at Fedex in Nashville. To their credit, Watchco tried to resolve the problem for me, stating that they had supplied the right paperwork. Eventually, Fedex and Watchco decided to return the watch to Australia.

A week or two later, Watchco shipped the watch to me via USPS. Again customs stopped the shipment, but this time Watchco resolved the problem, and the watch arrived. I was so excited to wear it the first day .... until I noticed that it would intermittently stop. I traded a few emails and was told that it just needed to be fully wound, so I wound it and wore it for a day and then placed it in a winder overnight. The following day, it was losing several minutes an hour and would stop when repositioned from face up to crown up.

I took my watch to a local jeweler, who couldn't diagnose the problem. I figured it was probably user error. Eventually Watchco asked me to ship it back to Australia for repairs. A few weeks later it was shipped back to me, without explanation, except that Watchco had replaced the stem. It was caught again at Fedex in Nashville, but a few phone calls were enough to get it shipped to my house. Unfortunately, it was still not operating properly.

I haven't found a great local watchmaker yet, so I sent my new SM 300 off to Philadelphia for service with @govbergjewelers, who were recommended by a member of this forum. Govberg did a full service and ended up replacing the crown. As I requested, they returned the original crown to me. I'm still not sure if there was a defective part, or if I somehow broke the watch on that first day I wore it. For a while, I was so exasperated I almost threw it in the bin, but now that it's back -- and working perfectly -- I remember why I wanted it so much. It is truly a beautiful work of art.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 26, 2015

Wow! What a Saga! And what a beautiful watch. I wish you many, many years of happy wearing :)

3. nickioa Jul 26, 2015

Good story, and a wonderful watch to boot.

4. Cortezthekiller Jul 26, 2015

Looks fantastic

5. Aroma Jul 27, 2015

I have the non-date version - IMHO it is a classic design and right up there with the Sub.

Buckeyes#1 likes this.
  6. Geo! Jul 27, 2015

I love the watch, but hate mysteries!

7. Varasc Jul 27, 2015

Superb. Would like to own a Watcho 300 non-date, too.

8. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 27, 2015

Congratulations on finally being able to enjoy it. It's a fantastic watch. I removed the mesh bracelet from my SM300 a couple of weeks ago, but now, when I see these pictures, I think I will pop it back on, when I get home. ::love::

9. persco Jul 27, 2015

That's a long wait, but I'm glad you can finally enjoy it. My first Omega, it's still one of my favourites. My wife, however, has almost confiscated it full time since I put it on the Omega mesh.

Varasc likes this.
  10. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 27, 2015

It's funny because my wife hates the Omega mesh bracelet. Several of my friends have also commented that it looks like a womans bracelet (you know the kind without a watch) or looks too bling bling. I disagree even tough I can see that it is a but different to the standard bracelets.

11. Interstellar Jul 27, 2015

Truly a superb looking watch. Thanks for sharing.

12. sliceoftime_ Jul 27, 2015

Sounds like it is all worth it in the end. Congrats and enjoy!

13. bvertz Jul 27, 2015

Thanks for all the wishes. When I bought the watch, I ordered the standard bracelet in addition to the mesh. Plus it would look good on a NATO, I'm thinking.

14. govbergjewelers Jul 27, 2015

At least the story has a happy ending! Glad we could help get it up and running!

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 27, 2015

The SM300 crowns can be a tad problematic, and I doubt any of the difficulties with this watch are your fault.

I have had a number of brand new crowns fail on these, completely coming apart - the outer cap just pops right off the rest of the crown:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the only issues I've seen on these too.

Cheers, Al

Giff2577 likes this.
  16. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 27, 2015

It looks great on NATO
    image.jpg

watchyouwant likes this.
  17. Tempusfugitus Jul 29, 2015

Try it on black leather too (Hirsch Buffalo)

[​IMG][​IMG]

watchyouwant likes this.
  18. WatchVaultNYC Oct 19, 2015

So, I've been trying to get my hands on one of these, but the email address they had on their website [email protected] is bouncing. Any idea on how to contact these folks?

19. Tempusfugitus Oct 19, 2015

[email protected]

By the way, for those who don't like the mesh bracelet on the SM300, try it on the latest moonwatch bracelet. It looks incredible and fits like a glove.

Edited Oct 19, 2015