Forums Latest Members
  1. prostie1200 Sep 7, 2019

Hi everyone just returned to the group after a quite long period, a great deal has happened alot of ill health not all mine and the loss in June of our eldest son, he was 59 and had had a heart transplant 21 and a half years ago - the anti rejection drugs eventualy caught up with him. Made me think about my little hoard of Omega's 30 in all I believe sitting where no one can see or realy appreciate them. Over the years I have bought those that liked ,had them serviced and stored safely but think the time has come to let them go. There are no stupendously valuable wartches amongst them so the question is should I dispose of them piecemeal or trickle them out slowely. Your thoughts would be welcome.
    Prostie 1200

Mark020 likes this.
  2. WatchCor Sep 7, 2019

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I can't think of anything other to say. My sincere condolences. :unsure:

Edit:sry, forgot to give my opinion on the actual question: I'd recommend primarily selling them individually but that depends on how many pieces you have acquired and how quickly you want to move them. Faster to sell them of course as a packet.

Edited Sep 7, 2019
    DaveK likes this.
  3. JwRosenthal Sep 7, 2019

I’m so sorry prostie, I can’t imagine anything worse. If your watches aren’t bringing you joy anymore, then put up a few at a time in the sales forum here. Maybe trade for something in which you have interest- find a new distraction. Perhaps getting back into the hobby will bring you a sense of community and solace- I know many of us have been blabbermouths here during times of personal struggle- a nice diversion to think of things so trivial (like watches) when life is anything but.

td69, DaveK, Sidnos and 2 others like this.
  4. prostie1200 Sep 7, 2019

Thank you WatchCor and JwRosenthal for your advice and kind thoughts, I maybe shouldrestoke my interest again - Cheers

Sidnos, WatchCor and JwRosenthal like this.
  5. JwRosenthal Sep 7, 2019

First step- show us some pics of your watches!

DaveK and WatchCor like this.
  6. teojjsg Sep 7, 2019

Sorry to hear about your loss as well. My sincere condolences. Time heals all wounds and may you recover from your loss soon enough. Take care and best wishes...

7. lillatroll Sep 7, 2019

Firstly, my condolences to you and your family, I imagine loosing a child, no matter how young or old must be difficult to deal with. I would sell your watches here, at least they will go to other collectors who will appreciate them.

gostang9 likes this.
  8. gostang9 Sep 7, 2019

Sorry to hear of your loss and the I’ll health. As others have commented, I would recommend selling them here, one by one.

You bought them because you enjoyed the hobby. If you sell them here, hopefully other people can get them that will enjoy them as well. Unfortunately, profiteers also love to snatch up under-prices beauties here to flip for a profit elsewhere, but at least others get a chance to get in.

All the best.

DaveK likes this.
  9. Canuck Sep 7, 2019

My condolences on the death of your son. Be thankful for the 21 years you enjoyed, following his heart transplant.

As to how to deal with your watch collection. If your son was 59, that may say something about the time that might be available to you, to divest yourself of your watches. You imply that you have 30 Omegas. It might be a good idea to begin offering one for sale, here on the MB, and gauge the amount of time required to sell it, then multiply by 30. If your watch is right, and the price is right, it might sell pronto. So one at a time might be the way to go. On the other hand, if it takes a year to sell six of them.........!

I can sympathize with you in a way. I am likely close to being in what I assume is your age group, and I have about 130 watches and assorted other timepieces, a complete watch and clock repair workshop, hundreds of pounds of project or parts watches, and a lot of clocks. Our son is still with us, at age 48, and he has NO interest whatsoever in what I have spent 50 years gathering. What to do! Watch for my obituary, then camp out in my front yard and watch for the dumpster when it arrives. :)

10. Dan S Sep 7, 2019

My sincere condolences on the tragic loss of your son. It is difficult to advise you about selling your watches without seeing photos. Collector-quality examples sell very quickly on the private sale forum. Watches with condition issues are probably better sold on eBay.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  11. prostie1200 Sep 7, 2019

Omega-Trio.jpg You have all been so kind
    As I said in my initial post the watches I have are vintage ,clean and have no issues
    Here are three left is a 2292MOD Pilot issue, middle a Dynamic and right a Seamaster auto Compressor

Omega-Trio.jpg
    JwRosenthal likes this.
  12. prostie1200 Sep 7, 2019

These were taken on my iPhone so not too clear

13. JwRosenthal Sep 7, 2019

Don’t sell these- wear them for a bit and join back in the community. Have some fun with them.
    But I call dibs on the 2292;)

14. prostie1200 Sep 7, 2019

Sympathies Canuck- pity your son has no interest in continuing the business but you can still enjoy his company - long may that be
    fast approaching the 90's there is much to do and enjoy -

DaveK likes this.
  15. CountVonLux Sep 7, 2019

I am sorry to hear this prostie, my condolences. I am new here and have had a few things stressing as well, life can be very difficult. Your watches are beautiful and in great condition though, that's for sure.

16. Mr Blond Sep 7, 2019

Sorry for your loss, no parent should out live their child no matter what the age is.

Do what will make you happy, keep them, sell them, charity donation, give them to family members. Just be sure you are doing the right thing.

I don’t think it’s appropriate to call dibs given your recent loss. All I will say is that is a nice trio of watches. If you sell them on here or eBay I hope you get a good price for them, watch out for any private messages from people giving you low offers.

watchyouwant likes this.
  17. Ninja2789 Sep 7, 2019

As others have said, my condolences for your loss and welcome back to the Omega Forum.

I've recently taken the Marie Kondo style of thought and asked myself "what brings me joy" when I look at the watches that I own. I think each of us have a certain "collectors" mentality where we like the idea of owning the watch more than wearing the watch. I'd take the time to go through your collection and see which ones you reach for in the morning and go from there.

DaveK, Sidnos and JwRosenthal like this.
  18. Walrus Sep 7, 2019

God bless man, tough stuff. I would say take a little time and think about things. Watches are not that important at the moment. Many of us are dealing with s$&t storms but you are dealing with a horrible loss. Take a little time, get sorted I really hope you and your family are ok

DaveK, Sidnos and marco like this.
  19. prostie1200 Sep 8, 2019

Two-of-the-20's-Omega's_0062.jpg Two-of-the-20's-Omega's_0064.jpg Two-of-the-20's-Omega's_0065.jpg Two-of-the-20's-Omega's_0066.jpg Two-of-the-20's-Omega's_0062.jpg Two-of-the-20's-Omega's_0064.jpg Two-of-the-20's-Omega's_0065.jpg Two-of-the-20's-Omega's_0066.jpg
    Every one here has been oustanding and yes thank you the remaing family are solid.
    You have made me pick up the camera again and lose the odd hour or so in happy thoughts
    I have picked out two little ones here are the pics but I realise I have to get some practise in. Two-of-the-20's-Omega's_0062.jpg Two-of-the-20's-Omega's_0064.jpg Two-of-the-20's-Omega's_0065.jpg Two-of-the-20's-Omega's_0066.jpg Two-of-the-20's-Omega's_0062.jpg Two-of-the-20's-Omega's_0064.jpg

DaveK, JwRosenthal and Sidnos like this.
  20. JwRosenthal Sep 8, 2019

Keep going man! Let’s see some pics on the wrist out in the wild.

DaveK likes this.