London/Surrey watch repair

Posts
11
Likes
2
Hello,
Would anyone have any recommendations for somewhere in London or Surrey to repair my vintage seamaster? Been told it’s a relatively minor repair, watch was serviced in July but the second hand has come off.
Thanks in advance
 
Posts
11
Likes
2
It is but they are based overseas so it would have to be shipped and I would need to pay the import tax again as I understand it so would cost a lot more than having it done in the uk. They are going to refund for the cost of the repair
 
Posts
9,251
Likes
77,038
I had an Omega 552 serviced but on a couple of occasions, the sweep second hand came loose and off the pinion. A helpful member on OF (a retired watchmaker) said that he had the tool necessary to tighten the hand on the pinion and kindly offered to do it.

Probably an idea to check with whoever you go to that they actually have the appropriate tool.
 
Posts
9,251
Likes
77,038
I’m only guessing but I would have thought that whatever you might assume is the problem, any watchmaker will want to look at the watch beforehand and give you an opinion/estimate based on his/her inspection and experience.

Some may worry that if they fix it and there’s a further issue, the watch owner (I’m not suggesting you) may complain that it was damaged by the repair and want it remedied.

For that (speculative) reason, some watchmakers might quote for a service in order to give you a warranty and cover themselves.

I’m probably being over anxious 😬
 
Posts
11
Likes
2
all good advice. Be great if anyone could recommend some places I could call and see if they can carry out the repair though