Forums Latest Members

Logical way to keep shut (permanently?) He valve on SeMP?

1. mistexbs Feb 14, 2019

Hello all,

My one pet peeve about my 2007 SeMP is the He "valve" (aka, "direct pathway to the watch internals"). While I would simply prefer it not there, my other option is to ensure that crown isn't open when it's not supposed to be.

So, what are folks' ideas on keeping that silly valve closed? I'm honestly considering clear epoxy around the circumference of the crown; with proper application it should not be noticeable.

But is there a less drastic option perhaps?

-Ben

sah likes this.
  2. sah Feb 14, 2019

Why are you worried? Is your valve spontaneously unscrewing? Even if so, does not the valve prevent water ingress? If the design of your watch is like current watches, the valve is only one way out.

mistexbs likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 14, 2019

Watch is still waterproof 50m with it open IIRC

4. mistexbs Feb 14, 2019

To be honest, I thought the "valve" was simply a hole into the innards. If that's not the case, I'm quite relieved! :)

sah likes this.
  5. mistexbs Feb 14, 2019

Now THAT's good to know! Thank you for that info! :)

sah likes this.
  6. sah Feb 15, 2019

Though obvious, I just have to mention the crown, on the other hand, does need to stay screwed down. Water will go into the case if not secured as there is no valve on it.

mistexbs likes this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 15, 2019

As new if open it’s water resistance is 50m. It’s in the manual.

mistexbs likes this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 15, 2019

Of course the bigger problem is the Hel.................

OK, I won't go there. :D

9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 15, 2019

Whoa... how long has it been open?!?

The factory helium could have escaped, and that drastically impairs timekeeping.

I’d take to an AD stat and get a helium refill. They are so nice when you ask for it...happens all the time apparently.

Longbow, Baz9614, mistexbs and 2 others like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 15, 2019

Here is a video as annoying as the HE valve itself

mistexbs likes this.
  11. IanS Feb 15, 2019

"Simply a hole to the innards". Love it. Sort of like your a-hole - water and gas tight when closed, but look out when it's open!

mistexbs likes this.
  12. Professor Feb 15, 2019

The He valve is too allow highly pressurized helium from helium/oxygen breathing gas mixtures to escape once a saturation diver returns to the surface after days in a underwater habitat.

The helium molecules are smaller than nitrogen or oxygen molecules so after long exposure to high pressure breathing mixtures helium seeps through seals and builds up to a high pressure inside the watch. When the watch is returned to sea level the high pressure inside must be bled off through the valve or the crystal would be blown out by the pressure differences.
    Only saturation divers who carry the watch back inside a habitat need worry about this.

PS
    Seems like such a valve would be useful on a watch worn in the vaccum of space. Even the 3-5 PSI of a space capsule might blow out the crystal of a watch when taken on an EVA. Not normally of course or it would have happened many times in the past but under circumstances where heat from direct sunlight softened a crystal or expanded the bezel, or extreme cold caused the crystal to contract.
    A flaw in a crystal might also cause it to shatter.

Edited Feb 15, 2019
    mistexbs likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 15, 2019

This is false. There is a seal in the crown that rides on the outside diameter of the case tube, and that seal stays in contact with the case tube at all times - when the crown is screwed down, when it's unscrewed, and even when it's pulled out to the setting positions. If that seal is in good condition, there is never an open "hole" into the watch...

14. Professor Feb 15, 2019

The seal than contacts the tube is unlikely to be as resistant as the screwed down crown. I expect it allows the remaining 50 meter resistance Foo2rama mentioned when opened.

A lot of watches have no special crown to improve water resistance yet are rated at 50 meters. Generally that allows little protection other than occasional submersion for a few seconds. Most such are considered merely splash resistant.

PS
    Does anyone know of any watches that have nitrogen gas sealed within to prevent condensation, corrosion or degradation of lubricants. It's a common practice for quality telescopic sights. It might prevent deterioration of the dial if nothing else. A UV resistant crystal might also forestall sun bleaching of the dial finish.

Edited Feb 15, 2019
    mistexbs likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 15, 2019

I know you like to contradict me, but I didn't say that it would be just as resistant as it would be with the crown screwed down. All I said was that there is no open hole into the case that the other poster indicated there was by saying that without screwing the crown down, water will enter...

redzer007 likes this.
  16. Professor Feb 15, 2019

I did not contradict you. I did not contradict you on the recent thread when discussing the use of the terms Watch Head or Watch Face. Loosen your hatband and let your brain get more oxygen.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 15, 2019

Sure...

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 15, 2019

A watch that is rated to 1000m doesn’t need a screw down valve ;)

BE4421BB-1130-4C24-84FD-C2A593899405.jpeg
    250502AC-0C08-4A50-A302-1B52F940055F.jpeg

Edited Feb 15, 2019
    ConElPueblo and mistexbs like this.
  19. Stufflers Mom Feb 15, 2019

I've found the best way to keep the HE valve on a SMP closed is to not dick about with it.

20. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 15, 2019

Yes Sinn do it fairly regularly I believe. By the way picking holes in Archer’s posts usually leads to egg on your face.

ac106 and Co-axial like this.