Forums Latest Members
  1. snunez Oct 20, 2018

Has anyone taken links out of a bracelet that uses screws? Grand Seiko's are put together this way and I had to take a hair dryer to the links to soften up the loctite enough to get the screw out. However, I do not seem to have the manual dexterity to put loctite on the screw whilst holding onto it with tweezers with the other, all the while looking through a loupe (in case it is not obvious, I am new to this).

So, a couple of questions for the seasoned watchmakers of the group:
    • Is loctite required here? I would hate for them to back out over time and have the bracelet fall off at some point.
    • If it is required, is there some trick for getting it on the threads and then into the very small holes in the bracelet?
    Perhaps using a toothpick and put a drop in the hole instead of on the screw?

Cheers,
    Steve

superfly likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 20, 2018

Since you are applying a smallish amount to a small screw (not small at all for watchmakers, but small for the average person) you pretty much always use an applicator of some kind to apply it - I use an old oiler, but a toothpick would work in a pinch. Not sure what type of tweezers you have, but learning how to hold things securely with them takes practice, so if you don't want to put in the time to get good at that, putting a little in the threaded hole instead is not a bad idea. However be careful not to apply too much, and if there is a pin inside the link with a screw at each end to contain it (like Omega uses) you don't want Loctite getting on anything but the threads.

Cheers, Al

superfly, Spacefruit and Dan S like this.
  3. snunez Oct 20, 2018

That is exactly the setup. A pin secured with screws on each side. Tweezers are number 2 Bergnon, and are not too bad to work with. No question experience will help here. Luckily I have an old oiler around too ...

800px-Oliwiarka.Singer.jpg

;)

superfly and Deafboy like this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 20, 2018

I would only add that you ensure you use the right grade of Loctite.

There's Loctite, and then there's LOCTITE!

Make a mistake and use Loctite 263 and you have a near permanent fixture.

I'd suggest Loctite 222.

superfly likes this.
  5. snunez Oct 21, 2018

Excellent point, thank you. I should have realised that the strength required for automotive bolts and screws would be different than those tiny watch band screws.

I guess the general consensus is that loctite is required and not optional? I put it all back together already; not sure I can remember which screws I took out, and I only took out one side anyway...

superfly likes this.
  6. Caliber561 Oct 21, 2018

Just in case this isn't a joke, Al is probably referring to a watchmaker's oiler. If this is a joke, well ... :rolleyes:

superfly likes this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 21, 2018

I think that's why the post ended with a ;).

superfly and Caliber561 like this.
  8. Caliber561 Oct 21, 2018

I hope so! Better safe than sorry I suppose :thumbsup:

superfly likes this.